Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heatmaster Cleanout Procedure  (Read 5641 times)

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Heatmaster Cleanout Procedure
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:37:47 AM »

Hey guys.  I got another video made for my cleanout procedure.  The one thing I didn't mention was your water.  Leave the water alone.  The Heatmaster manual says to bring your stove up to temp and let it run for up to 48 hours before collecting your sample.  So, I wait until startup to top off my water.  If you add water at shutodwn, you have to send in a sample.  You can apply these practices to any stove. There are, however, several items specifically for Heatmaster stoves. 

https://youtu.be/nS_gXEpW--E
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
Re: Heatmaster Cleanout Procedure
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »

Nice video country boy. Can't stress enough to make sure you get that back part really good as that will save on wood with and better aore flow. Also a good time if you going to change the rope gasket good time to let them deal up good.

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »

On my 5000e it is impossible to use the heatmaster tool to clean out the trough inside the top of the firebox. it goes in about a foot and the handle wedges itself in between the top of the door and the trough. Its easy to clean not that summer is here. Whats the hot set up to clean this out when the fire is burning? I bent the handle some and it goes back further but there is a limit until you bend it too far and it binds in the opposite direction.
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 05:20:55 AM »

That's interesting Mr. Suzukidad.  I figured all the upper chambers were about the same size across the different HM stoves.  I guess not!  Is the tool too tall or too wide?  My cleanout tool is too wide for my ash pan which I always found frustrating.  Why didn't HM make the tool to fit the ash pan?  If your tool is too wide for your upper chamber, you could always clip the edges off.  Or, just use a garden hoe.  That's what I use in my ash pan chamber.  I've seen several home made tools over the last few years.  Many have been pretty ingenious and work great!!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:37:27 AM »

Suzukidad, Please PM me your address and name or call the office 1-877-325-9792 and speak to Wally or Ryan so we can send you a new cleaning tool shaped for your 5000, you more than likely got the wrong one accidentally, sorry for the mix up,also keep in mind that the heat transfer pass in the top of the boiler firebox does slide out to remove for extra cleaning if needed.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Dan76

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 5000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 07:43:51 AM »

I have a 5000E and I have same problem as suzukidad.  The tool is not too wide.  The handle wedges against the fire box door because the trough is higher than the door.  Almost need a tool with a flexible handle.  By the way I am able to clean out the back of the ash pan with vac by removing the shaker grates.
Manitoba, Canada.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »

Ok, I see what you guys are saying.  Slim is right.  Although I've never done it, there are brackets in the roof of the firebox that should loosen and spin to let that first sem-circle trough come off.  I've never had the need because I can reach the back with my tool without wedging against the door frame. 

Mr. Dan76, yeah, I'm sure that works.  Our air channels may be different in the back, but it'd be really hard for me to reach down trough the grates, over the angled deflector and into the bottom bend of my air channel.  I find it easier just to pull the back air channel off and vac from there.  As far as the back of the ash pan, you're right.  I guess it would be pretty simple to vac the ash pan from above.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »

Yea it's hard to get to the very back of the channel with the ash rake.  You can usually get them about half way in.  There really shouldn't be much in there except powder.  A shop vac should get most of that.  I've been wanting to make a tool that will flex to allow me to get all the way to the back but I haven't had time. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Dan76

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 5000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »

I think it is better just to take the fan off since the opening to get there from under grates is small and requires an attachment on vac.  I have done both.  You are right the semi circle can be removed when cleaning, I never even looked at that.
Manitoba, Canada.

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »

Suzukidad, Please PM me your address and name or call the office 1-877-325-9792 and speak to Wally or Ryan so we can send you a new cleaning tool shaped for your 5000, you more than likely got the wrong one accidentally, sorry for the mix up,also keep in mind that the heat transfer pass in the top of the boiler firebox does slide out to remove for extra cleaning if needed.

As you push the tool backwards the handle becomes wedged against the top of the filler door and the bottom of the transfer pass while the blade is wedged against the top chute... It is kind of hard to explain. I bent the handle 4-5 times in a slight C shape to get further back but it cannot reach the bottom to pull the ash out. PM sent.
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 05:04:02 AM »

I'm very sorry Suzukidad that I'm not very familiar with the 5000 as of yet but the office tells me that the 5000 has a slightly bent handle to get around that issue, you must have gotten the wrong one by mistake, a new tool will be headed your way first of the week, PM sent back to you with my contact info, feel free to do so and thanks for your understanding!

Jared43758

• OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »

Suzuki is having the same issue I'm having and I'm not sure you understand slimjim. The tool fits fine inside the fire box where u put wood to clean out the first pass.  The the tool will not clean the extra pass(the very top small door). It goes back a foot or so and won't go any farther.  I have a custom tool for it
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »

I think I do now Jared, Jake says the 5000 is supposed to be a bit smaller head as well, send me your info as well and I'll forward it to the office or give them a call there and they will solve it