Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Changing light bulbs  (Read 7325 times)

Ridgekid

Changing light bulbs
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »

I have two 40W incandescent  bulbs on the CB5036. I don't think CFL's work too good outside in cold temps. Was thinking about LED's instead.

Is there any drawback if I went with LED's? Are they cold sensitive? Do they give the same amount of light as a regular 40W bulb?

Just curious.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Changing light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »

Is the purpose just to save money? Is the light just on when you are filling the furnace? If so you will never save enough power to pay for a new light bulb.

gmviso

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »

No particular reason you couldn't do this.

The LEDs should work fine below zero.

But, all the LED Replacement bulbs I see are directional. That means that the light is coming out the front of the bulb and the reflector that I believe is built in to the sockets on the boilers will be pretty much useless. Not sure the lens will diffuse enough to give you decent lighting. Think it will be more of a spot light.

Here is one example http://www.ebay.com/itm/150653035900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Truth of the matter is, that having just gotten my 5036, I am not sure the light set up is the best anyway. But I won't know until I get it fired up.
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »

Funny RSI- No I was actually looking for a brighter bulb. I had no clue what the temp rating was on it until read gmviso post. So if I went that route I'd be ok.

I was lucky the side light is on the same side as my wood pile. During the beginning of the season and dark of winter, if I need light, it will be my only light source. Once the pile gets shorter and farther away from the OWB, I might have to carry a flashlight. LEDs were a option for brighter light.

Thanks for your inputs!

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »

Here is what I found with a quick search.
http://www.prolighting.com/dll09a1928a.html

Ridgekid

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »

TWENTY SIX DOLLARS???? No way! I'll carry a flashlight if I have to.

Geez.....  :bash:

EDIT: Next time I got to LOWES or HOME DEPOT I'll check out thier pricing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:32:37 PM by Ridgekid »

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:24:18 AM »

Ebay is the way to go on these!
Central Boiler CL5036

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:32:07 AM »

The one you posted the link to is only 2.5w though. That won't be as bright as a 40watt bulb.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »

The one you posted the link to is only 2.5w though. That won't be as bright as a 40watt bulb.

Ive got some of these bulbs and bought them with the intent of using them on my stove, just never have installed any.  I bought them online from china for like 4 bucks, i have no idea wehre they are right now actually tho
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »

Since this is NOT a energy saving change, do they provide more light at same wattage? I understand they are more of a directional light, which should be ok. (I think)

I was searching ebay, alot of choices, most come from overeas.

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »

What they do is provide the equivalent output of lets say a 40W Incandescent for a power savings of about 87%. So you could run 8 of the LED equivalents for the same $$ as 1 incandescent.

But because they are LED and don't generate the heat of an incandescent they last lots longer. In normal use they claim 5 to 6 years. But my guess is that if they are only on once or twice a day while you are servicing the boiler it will be much longer.

I am prob gonna try some at an ebay cost of about $8 per bulb.
Central Boiler CL5036

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »

There are two ways you will see them listed, like CFL's with an equivalent wattage and with the real wattage.
Just being more watts doesn't necessarily mean they will put out more light though. The Chinese LEDS (the actual LED itself) aren't that great but a lot of them in China use LED's that were made in USA. I bought a couple flashlights from a company in Hong Kong that used LED's made in USA. If I remember right, they are CREE brand LEDs. The Chinese ones will still put out a lot more light than incandescent for the same actual wattage.

That expensive bulb I posted was 9.2w but equivalent to a 50 watt bulb. In the winter when there is snow the LED might seem even brighter because the light it white and will probably reflect off the snow better.

Ridgekid

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »

Since the OWB required a 15 amp breaker, I assume the total load (Damper, pump, controller and lights) is what determined the max light bulb size. (Or the heat load, so it won't melt the lense)

Since LEDs don't generate as much heat I might be able to go bigger as long as it fits behind the lenses?

UPDATE:
I went out and pulled one lightbulb. It's basically a 40W appliance bulb. Sticker inside says max 60W. So it looks like I can go higher in wattage, just not higher in bulb size.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:10:30 AM by Ridgekid »

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »

Yes, that 60W max rating is basically the amount of heat that the housing and in particular the socket can handle. So, if you could theorectically put an LED replacement that dissipates as much as 60W in there if it would physically fit. But that ought to have the equivalent light output of a 500W incandescent so you probably would not want to do that.
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »

I should also add that the 40W installed is frosted. If I went with a 40W clear, that would be a improvement. Or even a 60W frosted. (Don't think I would go with 60W clear as they put out more heat)
Pages: [1] 2