Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: thermostatic valve  (Read 11653 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: thermostatic valve
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »

Could it also be a "Freeze protector"? CB wants you to install it in the house. Having the thermostatic vavle close at 150F, you could maintain heat longer in the stove, just in case you forgot to restock it? We all have back-up heat right?

Just a thought..... although my brain cells are wearing a little thin on the subject.
It is actually the opposite. If it is bypassing the lines, heat exchanger, etc in the house, it will not be able to pull any heat out. If you have to leave for a few days or a week for some reason, what do you do?
Without the valve when the furnace (or whatever your backup heatsource is) kicks in, it transfers a little heat back out to the boiler to keep it from freezing.

wrudoing

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »

RSI Execellent point your back up heat source will be useless in helping with heat transfer back to the boiler for extended times when you aren't able to fire it

Ridgekid

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »

wrudoing-

Thanks for the photos you added to gallery.

wrudoing

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »

Thought it might be of interest i sure enjoy looking at other peoples set ups. Thanks

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »

Having a backup is not the problem the idea of using it is though. There idea is not freeze protection,  because of the constant circulation,  it would have to mighty cold and burnt out for awhile to be of concern. It's for corrosion due to moisture but i think it's going to be pain keeping the temps up we'll see.
I don't think keeping temps up will be a big problem. My heat exchanger only pulled out about 15*-18* out of my water, and my line loss from outlet to inlet was only about 1.5*(furnace not cycling,side arm bypassed). I do understand their reasoning. When my friend fired up his 250 tonight, the door on the back that houses the heat exchange tubes dripped about non-stop until the water temperature got up to 141*, then it just quit all together. I'm going to order a three of those valves tomorrow for our 250's.  Outdoor Specialties here in Mi(Lake City) can get them for me. Seems like she (Tammy) said they're about 100 bucks or so. Portage and Main doesn't require them, but to me, it seems like it's cheap insurance. I think she said Danfoss makes them.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

wrudoing

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »

I'm going to hook it up and see how it goes
Pages: 1 [2]