Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Problem, No Heat !!  (Read 2139 times)

rmtrax

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: home made
    • View Profile
Problem, No Heat !!
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

Problem, no heat to my house and the boiler is making hot water, but the water doesn’t get to the house hot were taking 50ft of run. Pump running pushing water uphill, secondary pump running but never gets hot! The forced air fan heats the coal, water hits 180 degrees than shuts off, the Grundfos pump UP 26-96 F with sufficient head & GPM  runs continually on a primary loop. Off the primary I have a secondary loop a smaller pump that feeds a manifold with three zones with manual shut off valves (they are open) feed hydronic registers in our small home. The open system reservoir that feeds back into the primary loop, if it gets to hot the the reservoir overflow dumps into a 55 gallon drum.. I tried to keep it simple, but I'm missing something here! HELP
   The boiler I made myself and I use coal. The water tank is made out of a large propane tank and holds 170 gallons of water, the firebox 1/2 inch thick and is inside the propane tank that holds the water. I made shaker grates that are one inch and the boiler itself works great.. I need some expert advise here, any help would be appreciated, its cold here in Alaska!! Thanks

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Problem, No Heat !!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »

I can say that if the secondary pump is not getting hot, the water is not getting to it from the OWF.  Are you sure your primary pump is pumping water?

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

Have you boiled your stove with the pump you are running now?

Last year I was running my previous water stove without an aquastat trying
to make it one more year. I wasn't paying close attention to the stove and it
boiled fairly bad. Some of the steam made it to the pump and broke the shaft
to the impeller. The pump sounded like it was running just a little quieter than normal.

I would do like Jerkash said and check the secondard pump, if cold you know its
closer to you OWB.

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »

Problem, no heat to my house and the boiler is making hot water, but the water doesn’t get to the house hot were taking 50ft of run. Pump running pushing water uphill, secondary pump running but never gets hot! The forced air fan heats the coal, water hits 180 degrees than shuts off, the Grundfos pump UP 26-96 F with sufficient head & GPM  runs continually on a primary loop. Off the primary I have a secondary loop a smaller pump that feeds a manifold with three zones with manual shut off valves (they are open) feed hydronic registers in our small home. The open system reservoir that feeds back into the primary loop, if it gets to hot the the reservoir overflow dumps into a 55 gallon drum.. I tried to keep it simple, but I'm missing something here! HELP
   The boiler I made myself and I use coal. The water tank is made out of a large propane tank and holds 170 gallons of water, the firebox 1/2 inch thick and is inside the propane tank that holds the water. I made shaker grates that are one inch and the boiler itself works great.. I need some expert advise here, any help would be appreciated, its cold here in Alaska!! Thanks
sound like the pump by boiler is running but not pumping water....shut off valves buy pump pull 4 screws, pull motor and impeller and check and see if it has dirt or something in impeller causing it not to pump.....try dif pump if it flows then you know it is bad......i have a spare brand new pump on my shelf just in case....you know if it quits it will be after everyone is closed and at midnight or something.....lol
kelly
let us know what you find....
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

Maby air lock in your secondary loop. where does the return from your secondary hit your primary loop.
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"