Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oak vs Maple???  (Read 14032 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Oak vs Maple???
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »

most of my wood is dead elm, it dies here in ontario at about12 to 14 inches at the trunk and the bark falls off while standing. it is mostly dry when i cut it and splitting is not needed  as it is just a nice size to handle and stack in a pile. a few carpenden scraps in teh fall to get the boiler going and then mostly unsplits from there on in.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

good deal. i have a tre service unlimited supply of wood. i burn mostly knots and round end scraps

dirtryder

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »

splitting? thats a thing of the past isn't it LOl
LOL...I've been trying to get the wife to put these in the stove but no go ;D

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »

what kind of wood you got there hickory

dirtryder

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

what kind of wood you got there hickory

Actually, I'm not really sure. I think that is some sort of oak, maybe pin oak or something. Sure splits like oak.  I took it down for my brother in law at a house he bought. I don't think it's maple feels too heavy and if it's hickory......I need to keep some to cook with :thumbup:
90% of the wood we have around south jersey is oak of some sort or another (just look at the woods in the background in the first pics). I guess we are lucky.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:12:07 PM by dirtryder »

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »

i will also take oak any day over maple.  I don't find that it takes a year to dry though.  I've sold 21 truck loads of oak this year and all of my customers keep coming back saying how well it burns.  The trees were down las winter but I cut in March, split all summer and sold this fall/winter.  They really like it.  I do however, split small for customers which will help dry it out better.

Its funny you guys mention the smell of red oak. That is mainly what I have and I LOVE IT! :o 

I'm just about done splitting my first pile of oak for next year.  Got my 30+ diameter logs left is all.  Guestimating about 15 truck loads of split.  I will be ready to start cutting again next weekend althought i've got cherry and white oak yet to split.
Pages: 1 [2]