Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ton=?cord  (Read 10831 times)

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
Re: Ton=?cord
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »

Yeap, I could not be happier. I have about 6 cords split. It will last me 2-3 years.

My friend brings it from PA. I do some favors for him, and he gets me 5 ton/year free delivery.
One of the PA anth  mines have a day a year when you can get anthrocite $120-150 I think. 20ton min for delivery or <20 ton pick up only.
I love to mix anthrocite with wood. There is virtually no smoke with anthrocite and lots of BTU. 5 ton lasts me 6 months with 2-3 cords of wood. For a 4500sqft house it is a great deal for me. My back is not what it used to be for splitting 10-15 cords each year, plus the wear and tear on the saw, truck, etc. I spend about $500 on the coal per year. Not bad for 6 months of heating + DHW.
Look at the PA mines if you are close.
KY coal also pretty good, and cheaper. Burns like wood thou.
Anthrocite glows like red melted glass, with blue flames. Very very very hot.

I have been using anthracite mixed for the last year or so. I agree, once dialed in its a great addition to the wood. The last 3 months I have been using almost all coal. Seems to be working great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTfBwfCPg7c

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »

Are you heating a Closet?

Yeap, I could not be happier. I have about 6 cords split. It will last me 2-3 years.

My friend brings it from PA. I do some favors for him, and he gets me 5 ton/year free delivery.
One of the PA anth  mines have a day a year when you can get anthrocite $120-150 I think. 20ton min for delivery or <20 ton pick up only.
I love to mix anthrocite with wood. There is virtually no smoke with anthrocite and lots of BTU. 5 ton lasts me 6 months with 2-3 cords of wood. For a 4500sqft house it is a great deal for me. My back is not what it used to be for splitting 10-15 cords each year, plus the wear and tear on the saw, truck, etc. I spend about $500 on the coal per year. Not bad for 6 months of heating + DHW.

I have been using anthracite mixed for the last year or so. I agree, once dialed in its a great addition to the wood. The last 3 months I have been using almost all coal. Seems to be working great!

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »

a 4500 sqft closet

Are you heating a Closet?

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »

Sorry,

I didn't read that you were heating with Coal Also...

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »

Is your house insulated with spray foam? I'm heating 4200 sq ft no coal I'd say someware around 15-18 cords per yr with my last boiler maybe 13-15 this yr.. So how many cord were you burning before using coal?
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »

1 ton anthracite or good coal = 3-4 cords of wood

Usually the rule of thumb is 3-4 cords = 1 ton of anthracite or very good quality coal.
So, I burn 5 ton coal, and 2 cords of wood; that's about 18 cords of wood. That about right, because when I burn wood only (hardly ever now) I will go through 2-3 cords probably a month. OMG, that is waaaaaay too much for my back. 15-18 cords I can't handle that.
I split 2 cords for this year, and so far I only used may be 1/8 cord, and less than a ton of coal.
My house is very well insulated; if the fire burns down at 8am, my house is still in the high 60s by 6pm as long as the kids don't leave the doors all open.
My house has stucco sidings and 6 inch thick walls, with ton of insulations. I also put bricks and insulations around the boiler because it looses a lot of heat outside.
I love splitting wood, but I can't handle the time, the wear and tear on the chain saw, truck, trailer, tractor from dealing with 15-18 cords of wood. Also, with my coal and wood mix, I do not get much creosote. Coal is so hot, it just keeps burning off.

I hope this helps.

Oh, I do a modification to the boiler; it's the way we did it in Europe years ago. I put a steel plate in front of the stack inside the fire chamber kind of like a fire back, to reflect the heat back into the fire chamber, and to reduce the heat and flames going out the chimney.
It's just a rectangle steel place resting on the firebricks and leaning against the stack inside the fire chamber. It's easy to remove and clean behind it.

I do also have a 20 foot double insulated chimney on my boiler, because I have very tall trees around us and I needed to move the smoke up. It works great. My boiler is 120 feet from the house.

Is your house insulated with spray foam? I'm heating 4200 sq ft no coal I'd say someware around 15-18 cords per yr with my last boiler maybe 13-15 this yr.. So how many cord were you burning before using coal?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:16:26 PM by JDfarmer »

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »

That's sounds a lot easier than splitting a whole bunch of wood  :thumbup: I hear ya on the wear and tear on the body and equipment not to mention the endless amount of time involved  seems like it's never enough..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »

yes; and don't get me wrong I love working outside stacking wood. But more like 2-3 cords is enough for me. 12-15 cords a winter is more like Russian forced labor ;)
I could not be happier with my wood and coal set up. This way I have the best of both world. It's been -30F here. I still got about 28hrs of burn time on one load. Plus I am sitting in a house that is 74F, and I'm almost hot. I was at a friends house, they keep it at 62-64F because they use propane and already pay $4000 per winter. 62F good lord, I might as well sleep in my car :)

Keep warm.

mtoll

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:22 PM »

JD,
Do you mix wood and coal by shoveling in coal on the wood.
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 04:37:26 AM »

That's what happend to me 8 yrs ago before I bought my first OWB my propane bill was $7200 for that heating season and the house was always cold now 74-76 deg walking around in shorts and tee shirt wife and kid happy as pig in s@&$)(; ... My brother has natural gas but keeps his house at 62 I freeze me arzz.. Off  when I'm there
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 08:57:48 AM »

Actually its not quite that easy. There is a system if you want it to work right.
First I have a coal NCB-250 Coal unit. For coal you need a shaker grate, and the air must come from under the coal bead. You also need a lot of fire bricks or the boiler will melt, warp.
You shake the grate twice a day to get rid of the cold ash, but don't shake it too much. Just 5 sec.
I put two logs on the side on hot red coals and load in the middle with new coal. If you just load coal you can suffocate the coal bed and the fire will go out.
The burning logs on the side will get the fire going strong and will leave an air hole for the new coal to ignite. And I put a log on top of the new coal load. So three logs total per day.
If the coal bed is weak because I haven;t loaded it for 2 days or so, I load it all wood with two shovels of coal in one corner. Than I load all coal once its burnt down 80%.
You also have to change the settings. Coal is like a train. Once it gets going when the fan turns off it will keep going and over heat. So you need to keep the diff as tight as can be. 3-5.
Mine is 175/5diff/pump on high. With that I get water temp 180/175.
If your setting are 185/12diff, you will get water temp 200/165 from the over shoot, and the coal needs more time to  get going so the temp will keep dropping.

If you don't have a shaker grate, you can still add some coal, but I would add fire bricks if possible. I would add wood 60% on the boiler, than a few shovels of coal in the center, than wood. Once the coal is ignited just keep adding a little bit.
It will increase your hot ash time and add a lot of BTUs!!!.
So, if you go out of town and your wood is all our, the coal will still be hot. It's not uncommon that I go out of town for 3-4 days, and when I get back the water is still 155F, and I just throw wood on the ash and the fire is raging in 20 min.
Look at centrilia, PA. Coal fire still burning underground with hardly any oxygen for years.
When it's warmer 20+ I use more wood. If the windchill is under 20F I use the 3 logs and 90%coal combo. At -30F like it has been, wood burns like cardboard, and coal shines in performance. Just get high quality coal. The poor coal has a lot of sulfur and it smells awful. I use anthrocite, no smell at all and no smoke at all. It's expensive, but it;s worth it. I still spend less than the wear and tear in the chain saw, and car, etc. I do split about 2-3 cords a winter. I spend about $500 I think a year., but my house is very big, and we keep it 74+, but little use on chain saw, trailer and truck splitter.
I think this set up works when you are older, or too busy to handle 12-15 cords. You also do not need an elaborate set up for coal. Just dump it next to the boiler on concrete, and a tarp to cover. I don't even use a tarp. I just novel it in with snow on it.
the coal ash you can use under your fence wire, or on ice. The week will not grow arround the fence wire, and the ice will not be slippery and you done;t have to deal with the nastiness of salt.

JD,
Do you mix wood and coal by shoveling in coal on the wood.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:04:16 AM by JDfarmer »

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »

I've been on the wood coal thing the pass two weeks, 1/3 coal to 2/3 wood.. I don't split a thing..coal Makes the big logs burn.

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »

yeap; my logs are huge, so I only split them so I can lift them.

big don

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 3000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:52 PM »

JD farmer,  Great info for burning coal--I wonder if you would advise approx how many lbs do you approximate 1 shoval of the coal is? Also are you burning oak hardwood or junk low BTU wood?  Thank you.

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »

how many lb per shovel? hmm, not sure. It's a pretty large shovel, not the standard home depot one. It's an amish coal shovel. Probably holds 2.5 times the amount of coal as a regular HD shovel would. I would say one bag of coal would be about 3 shovels. I think 1 bag is 40lb. So, I would say I loan about 1.5 bags, 60 lb per day. If I divide how much I used last year around 5 ton, per 5 months of heating; I get around 65 lbs. So, there you go. 65lb per day, that is 1.5 bags a day.
As for wood. It's mostly ash, some oak, some maple. What ever is on the side of the road after the power co goes through. I only split it so I can lift it. I use about 3 pretty good size pieces of wood a day.
I hope this helps.
PS; do not buy coal by bag!!!!! it's hard to use and ridiculously expensive. Market price for anthracite is $220/ton bulk, and $330 bagged.
If you buy it in PA from the mine, it's $120. Or they deliver it but min order is 30 ton. There is 1 customer day a year some mines have when it's $120 per ton, and 5 ton max. That is what I am on.
Ky low sulfur coal is $215/ton around here, and it is nowhere near the quality of anthracite.
If you can get anthracite buy it till you can.
A certain anonymous second term president; who's middle name is the same as the name of the Former Iraqi dictator's last name would love to eliminate "dirty" coal and OWBs, and have the entire country switch to "clean" natural gas mined by fracking with millions of gallons of acid injected into the ground that oozes out everywhere for centuries to come poisoning ground and natural water, and humans and animals. Clean air act. I guess it is Too bad that there is no clean ground act.
Just wait till power plants switch to natural gas from coal. Electricity will be more expensive than duck liver.

Anyway, calm down JD, calm down. :)

I hope this helps.

JD farmer,  Great info for burning coal--I wonder if you would advise approx how many lbs do you approximate 1 shoval of the coal is? Also are you burning oak hardwood or junk low BTU wood?  Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3