Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood cutting  (Read 3611 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Wood cutting
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »

Has begun, tried pictures but was to dark. Will get some tomorrow.

The 271 cut this up on just 1.5 tanks of fuel
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:54:27 AM by coolidge »
Western Maine

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Wood cutting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:41 AM »

Right there with you Coolidge. Just finished splitting 2017-18 on Sunday.  Headed in Friday to cut/skid logs for next fall.  Like to stay at least 2 years ahead.

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »

Couple weeks ago, i came across two nice size trees leaning over so much they were just above the ground. Cut the trunks into splitting sections and left them. Spent part of the day yesterday hauling the pieces out for splitting. Left the pieces in the back of the Mule, and am just driving it to the boiler, lightening the load a little each time.

There is only so many times I want to move the same blasted stick before it gets burned.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »

No snow for snowmobiling so will be cutting soon. All dead standing red oak with most of the bark gone. Won't be splitting it as small as usual, better for the gasser. This will be for two years ahead, feels good to be ahead of the game.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Gooseman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

Ground isn't frozen yet so can't bring the tractor in the bush without leaving ruts :bash: so using the quad and an arch that I fabbed up to keep logs out of the mud and make it easier on quad. I can back it up next to stove and block it right in the air cutting partway thru between chain and winch and then finish on the ground. Saves a lot of work.
Sarnia Ontario Canada

agriffinjd

• OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »

Look at all those beautiful trees just waiting to be felled and burned!

Where you live Gooseman?
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

Gooseman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: BL2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »

Just south of the Port Huron Michigan/ Sarnia Ontario bridge crossing. A few miles from the St.clair river in Ontario.
No need to cut any trees here. The emerald ash bore has made plenty of firewood for us. I can't keep up with the ash trees that are falling back in my bush. Nice thing about it is I can drag a tree up, cut it today and burn it today. Nice and dry no need to season it. Just wish the ground was froze so I could get back with my tractor. I made a hydraulic winch for the back of my tractor with about 150' of cable. Allows me to keep the tractor on the trails and reach out and drag the logs to me keeping trauma to a minimum in the bush. I hate harvesting one tree and killing or damaging a dozen small ones to do it.
Sarnia Ontario Canada

agriffinjd

• OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 06:33:16 AM »

Just south of the Port Huron Michigan/ Sarnia Ontario bridge crossing. A few miles from the St.clair river in Ontario.
No need to cut any trees here. The emerald ash bore has made plenty of firewood for us. I can't keep up with the ash trees that are falling back in my bush. Nice thing about it is I can drag a tree up, cut it today and burn it today. Nice and dry no need to season it. Just wish the ground was froze so I could get back with my tractor. I made a hydraulic winch for the back of my tractor with about 150' of cable. Allows me to keep the tractor on the trails and reach out and drag the logs to me keeping trauma to a minimum in the bush. I hate harvesting one tree and killing or damaging a dozen small ones to do it.

My brother used to live in Port Huron, so your part of Canada is the only part I've ever been to!

My father-in-law in lower Michigan has a lot of dead ash trees that I help him cut for his indoor wood stove, so I know what you mean about the ash borer.  Just a matter of time before it hits the U.P. of Michigan too.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan