Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: pump size  (Read 6196 times)

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
pump size
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »

I am going to be placing my unit about 70 feet from the house. my only concern at this point is the location is down grade approx 3 1/2 to my boiler room. the pump will do 30 gallons a min, is this going to be an issue? if so what are my options?

Husky455

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: pump size
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »

Well, I don't know what size pump you are using.  I HAD a 09 on my setup.  140' from stove to heat exchanger on furnace.   Had to bump up the second year because the temps that year were colder and the water didn't circulate fast enough.

Others with about the same set up use a smaller pump.  It all depends on how it works once it is actually put to a test.

I know that this doesn't really help you much.  Your dealer should be able to give you a pretty close idea of what to use.  Most of the time they know or are only off by one size.

When you run your stove on the first really cold day and you can't keep the house warm and there is nothing else wrong, bump up to a bigger pump.

That all said, what you have should be fine, even with a grade. 30 gallons a minute is a good amount.  Should be plenty. My stove is actually about 5 0r 6 feet above my house but I have my pump in the cellar.  Easier to change if it stops working when it is 5 below zero.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: pump size
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »

30 gal a min. is in my opinion lots...

i have a taco 0011 series pump on my unit...250 feet from my house and i too have  mounted the  pump in the basement (at a lower location than the stove) the  specs on my  pump are 0 to 28 gals per min. and a 0 to 30 foot head

because of my  250 foot distance i decided to use  1 inch pipe and i have never had a problem yet in 7 ontario winters

i use this one pump to  service (in my house) my hot air heating (1800 square feet), floor heat in one basement room (about 300 square feet) and
domestic hot water exchanger

also i heat (only around 55 degrees) my 2000 square foot shed (very well insulated) on the return water
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada