Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plumbing for hot water baseboard  (Read 4348 times)

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Plumbing for hot water baseboard
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:56:58 AM »

Can anyone share advice on plumbing a water to water exchanger into thier existing boiler system?  Looking for descriptions and or photos of how to put in the heat exchanger.

thanks,
steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing for hot water baseboard
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »

Can anyone share advice on plumbing a water to water exchanger into thier existing boiler system?  Looking for descriptions and or photos of how to put in the heat exchanger.

thanks,
steve
perhaps...install your  heat exchanger in your main return line?

this would preheat the water before it got back to the boiler, thus keeping the boiler from  lighting the burner (if the preheat temp is enough to keep the boiler water at the high temp) and if not it would at least be preheating it so the  boiler would work less..just my thoughts
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:34:51 AM »

Thanks Willie ... that is exatly what I have been told ... hook it into the retrun line of my oil burner.. set the cut in temp on the oil boiler to 130 degrees and the OWB to the 165 or so and then the oil should not kick on as much.  since my system has seperate pumps for each zonew if no heat is called for in the house the water in the boiler will not move and not pick up any heat so it may kick on durring those times just to keep the water in that system to 135 but if a pump is running it will pick up heat from the exchanger and not kick in.  at least that theory as I understand it!  I was hiping to find someone that has this sort of set up to see how it looks.

steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »

thanks,
steve

The water to water exchanger is installed in the return line to your boiler. You then change your Aquastat setting from 160 on the low end to about 140 and keep you high setting at 180. When your thermostat calls for heat in your home your pump on your in home boiler will come on to transfer the heat from your OWB into your system. If your OWB is depleted of wood and is below the 140 temp your in home boiler will kick on for your back up. Not to mention the water to water transfer will keep your outdoor water from freezing as long as your OWB pump is working.