Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood splitter woes  (Read 1874 times)

dieselpolaris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Wood splitter woes
« on: December 24, 2015, 04:42:55 AM »

So i have been aquiring parts for wood splitter and my neighbor gave me a free ram tonight. Found out it has an 8 inch bore and 26 inch stroke. i know that this ram will have slow cycle times with the engine and pump combo that i wanted to use if i am trying to achieve 3000 psi as pump will be only moving 6.3 gpm in low stage. Have a 12hp engine and was gonna use a 22 gpm 2 stage pump. Ideally i wanted to use a 5 inch ram. Question is with this ram being so large according to the calculators at only 1200 psi i will generate around 30 real tons of force which is almost 1 ton more than the 5 inch ram at 3000 psi. Could i compromise and get a single stage pump so i will have an average higher flow and only set it at the 1200 psi? If my math is right that 12 hp engine will run that and cycle would only be about an average of 10 seconds slower on the larger ram. Is it worth using the larger free cylinder or should i just spend the money on the 5 inch? Thanks

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Wood splitter woes
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 06:44:17 AM »

I’d buy a 5” and list the 8” on Craigslist as long as it wouldn’t put your neighbor out. I built a splitter with a 5”, wish I had used a 4” for a little faster cycle times, haven’t found anything the 5” won’t split. I even have a pressure release to make sure the 5” doesn’t bend anything. Running it off a skid steer so not sure about how much pressure or flow is available. Have my pressure relief set at 2200 PSI.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana