Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to wood stoves/Only a Question  (Read 2223 times)

bhaynesiv

• View Profile
New to wood stoves/Only a Question
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »

Hello,

Basically my family and I moved into a house that was on our property( we owned a huge farm) and we had a wood furnace outside feeding both houses. Now that the farm house is sold its on the other owners property and they do fill it and what not. My question is we are burning oil at a high rate and we all know how much that is getting pricey now a days. The pipes coming into the house are still warm and the oil we burn is only used for house bathes and laundry(and the back up when the furnace isnt burning.) I would like to know why if the furnace is filled is their a cut off switch from the houses that the other owner can initiate. Is their anyway that I can check on our furnace in house that the outside furnace is providing heat to the house? Are there any tests that I could perform? ANY information would be a great help. THANKS so much.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: New to wood stoves/Only a Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »

i am going to make a guess here...if your OWB was heating 2 homes i am guessing you had a pump for each house? if that is the case and both pumps are at the stove one pump could be shut off?  you can test your water temp coming into the house and see if it is up to the operating temp of the stove (or near to it) if you are not sure why not just go over to yoru neighbor and ask him? if you share the stove you should have rights to go and look at it? and if the stove went to him when he bought the house and there is no agreement in the deal ...you are likely not going to fare very well at getting heat from him?

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »

if you share the stove you should have rights to go and look at it? and if the stove went to him when he bought the house and there is no agreement in the deal ...you are likely not going to fare very well at getting heat from him?
If he doesn't know there are pipes going to your house you might not want to talk to him. lol

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »

Do you have a pump in your house? is the pipe just warm or hot? Is the return line cold? A pump could be air locked or dieing.
There are probably valves at the stove too that they could close.

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »

im with willie, test the water temp inside your house, i havent seen stoves with a shutoff at the pump but i am sure they are out their, you could put a pump in your house but if you are not supose to be heating with it that could be a place you dont want to go
Newrichmond, Ohio