Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to the board  (Read 7147 times)

hoyt38

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
New to the board
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:10:19 AM »

Hello everyone, I am new here and also new at heating with wood. This is my 1st. year with my 5036 and it has been going great so far. The past couple of day's have been extremely windy and even though the 1st. day was windy is wasn't cold. Temp's were in the 40's but I used more wood on this day then I did when the temp's dipped down into the teen's last week. Is this normal?

Thanks

yoda

• View Profile
Re: New to the board
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »

Hello and welcome,

I've had the same experience, I have an older, drafty house, much harder to heat when the wind is a blowin, also I think no matter how well your owb is insulated you loose heat from it when it's windy.

I wish I had put mine inside a shed, as others hear have done, great idea.
Northern MN

hoyt38

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. My house is just 4 years old and well insulated so I am at a loss. It has to be the boiler it's self that is losing the heat in the wind. I may build something to help break the wind.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

Same here seems you burn more wood  when wind is blowing. Today wind has been 30+ at times high 32 deg. I have noticed my OWB water temp going farther above set point during windy weather to. Mabe more draft. This is my first full heating season with mine so I am still learning.

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:51:54 AM »

Welcome to this site!!
This week has been very windy & I could also tell a diffrence in the amount of wood I use on those windy days. I came home from church wednesday night and the boiler was a 145. Usually never gets below 160 between fillings.  Only second season heating!
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 05:04:17 AM »

I don't think I use more wood when it's windy but I have a pretty high heat demand.  I think it probably helps me get my temps up quicker when the damper opens.  Oh I hate filling that thing when it's windy though.
Pomeroy, Ohio

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:29:37 PM »

Hey Hoyt38,Welcome to the site as Im new to the owb thing and not sure if I like being a slave to the boiler.I too have a 5036 and it works fine.Im heating a 3000 sf house that is not finished inside or outside.Need siding and sheetrock still in some areas.What part of the country are you in?

hoyt38

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »

Hello woody, I am in Southern Indiana. I am deffinetly a slave to the boiler but I don't mind. It is much better then paying the crazy prices for electric / gas.

I am loving it so far.

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »

It does take alot of time cutting/splitting/stacking,but like you said much better than paying for propane.Not much else to do after deer season anyways. One of the best decisons we have ever made.
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »

how much wood are you guys cutting?I have burnt about 4 cords oct. and its just getting cold out now.Im in Miane and temps below zero are common but not experanced yet this year.Been warmer than normal so far.

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 05:06:13 AM »

Fired up 1st of Oct.  Burned maybe 3 cords so far.  20deg. this morning while filling OWB.
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

hoyt38

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »

I have probably only burnt a cord and half so far. Mostly just trash wood. Doesn't get nearly as cold down here as it does in Maine though. I went through Maine in June one time and if I would have been living there I would have had my boiler going then!

dmorris,
I hear yea, Last year I started cutting with the intention to make sure I had enough older seasoned wood to get me through deer season. Once that is over I am ready to cut, get's me out of the house and is good exercise.

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

Hoyt38,
I would like to say I have my tags already filled since I shoot a PSE  :thumbup: but thats not the case this year. I still am hunting in the am & evenings & during the day cutting wood when I get a chance.
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

hoyt38

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »

dmorris,

Sorry to hear that you have to shoot a PSE! J/K, they are a good bow. As far as having your tag filled, it's the man behind the bow not the bow. That's why I still have a tag in my pocket.
I took one weekend and cut about two cords, I think I will cut this weekend up to around 1:00 and go hunting in the PM. I don't usually do much good in the AM during late season. Good luck to you and I hope you knock one of those big bluegrass bucks down!