Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I LOVE MY ACME FURANCE  (Read 10485 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: I LOVE MY ACME FURANCE
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »

Silicone coated rope gaskets from Portage and Main!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

precision

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

I checked this site out a few years ago for info on acme but didn't find anything. I was doing a little surfing and ran across this now. I would run far and fast from the acme furnace. I have the 340 model its suppose to heat 8500sqft yea right try 4000sqft and that's feeding it every 5 hours. Plan on replacing the poorly designed seal on the door at least 2 to 3 times a winter and I burn seasoned wood. ( doing it again today 15 degrees out Great!) no way to check the water level other than waiting for it to pour out the back. Tiny door to load wood make sure to split small pieces or you'll be smashing your fingers.  If you do have to burn any green wood prop a ladder up against it cause you will have to run a pipe down the chimney everyday to unplug it from the creosote build up. At least now they come with a solenoid to open and close the blower mine did not so once the gasket goes out it had perfect air flow to constantly boil over on warm days. I've now installed a solenoid and door to close off the blower when not needed. the recovery time is horrible to much water not enough fire. They brag about the air blowing from under like a blacksmith forge what good does that do when the grate only cover less than half the floor so the rest of the wood burns like a normal fireplace. I also have a central boiler 5036 bought it used cant afford new the air blows over the fire what acme says is no good the 5036 is set to come on at 170 off 190 about 20 minute recovery time and 1/4 of a load of wood. The 340 set to come on at 180 off 190 takes a minimum of an hour and a 3/4 load of wood. They talk about how great the ash draw is what a pain the butt. every other day clean it out with a hoe suck the ash in your lungs then use your hand to clean out around the door so it will close then shovel the ash in to the wheel barrow. central boiler every couple weeks take a couple scoops out with a shovel stand up wind an dump it in the wheel barrow no down time like Keith says.
I bought the 340 so I could also heat my shop 3000sqft so a total of 7000sqft and it worked great when it was 50 degrees outside. The first day we hit 13 I feed the stove every hour day and night to try to keep the shop at 32 degrees the stove never shut off once. Cut the line to the shop and blew the water out. Back to working in a cold shop but going to start building my own stove for next year use the acme for a boat anchor. Forgot to mention have never replaced the seal on the central boiler going on 4 years I've had it and 3 years previous owner.
You do get what you pay I don't know how acme figures the sqft that the stoves will heat I imagine its numbers on paper not real life scenarios. I would make sure and figure it half of what they claim unless you would like to feed it every hour me I prefer every 12 with the CB. Talk to your local welder they maybe able to build you one similar to acme but for less money and no shipping.

sizmo

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Acme
  • OWF Model: 340
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »

I checked this site out a few years ago for info on acme but didn't find anything. I was doing a little surfing and ran across this now. I would run far and fast from the acme furnace. I have the 340 model its suppose to heat 8500sqft yea right try 4000sqft and that's feeding it every 5 hours. Plan on replacing the poorly designed seal on the door at least 2 to 3 times a winter and I burn seasoned wood. ( doing it again today 15 degrees out Great!) no way to check the water level other than waiting for it to pour out the back. Tiny door to load wood make sure to split small pieces or you'll be smashing your fingers.  If you do have to burn any green wood prop a ladder up against it cause you will have to run a pipe down the chimney everyday to unplug it from the creosote build up. At least now they come with a solenoid to open and close the blower mine did not so once the gasket goes out it had perfect air flow to constantly boil over on warm days. I've now installed a solenoid and door to close off the blower when not needed. the recovery time is horrible to much water not enough fire. They brag about the air blowing from under like a blacksmith forge what good does that do when the grate only cover less than half the floor so the rest of the wood burns like a normal fireplace. I also have a central boiler 5036 bought it used cant afford new the air blows over the fire what acme says is no good the 5036 is set to come on at 170 off 190 about 20 minute recovery time and 1/4 of a load of wood. The 340 set to come on at 180 off 190 takes a minimum of an hour and a 3/4 load of wood. They talk about how great the ash draw is what a pain the butt. every other day clean it out with a hoe suck the ash in your lungs then use your hand to clean out around the door so it will close then shovel the ash in to the wheel barrow. central boiler every couple weeks take a couple scoops out with a shovel stand up wind an dump it in the wheel barrow no down time like Keith says.
I bought the 340 so I could also heat my shop 3000sqft so a total of 7000sqft and it worked great when it was 50 degrees outside. The first day we hit 13 I feed the stove every hour day and night to try to keep the shop at 32 degrees the stove never shut off once. Cut the line to the shop and blew the water out. Back to working in a cold shop but going to start building my own stove for next year use the acme for a boat anchor. Forgot to mention have never replaced the seal on the central boiler going on 4 years I've had it and 3 years previous owner.
You do get what you pay I don't know how acme figures the sqft that the stoves will heat I imagine its numbers on paper not real life scenarios. I would make sure and figure it half of what they claim unless you would like to feed it every hour me I prefer every 12 with the CB. Talk to your local welder they maybe able to build you one similar to acme but for less money and no shipping.

Sorry you had bad luck with yours. I heat a 3400 + sq. foot home and have the domestic water coil inside the furnace. I get 10 to 12 hours of burn time when it is really cold out, and we use a TON of domestic hot water too. My underground pipes aren't buried as deep as I should have gone, so I think I have some heat loss there. The snow will melt over the pipes I buried first once it gets above freezing.  :bash: I will either get a silicone gasket for the door from Portage and Main, or coat the door gasket I already bought with the silicone. My door gasket was toast after burning green wood in it, and creosote built up on the gasket. I haven't had to clean the flue pipe. I like the ash door and have to remove ashes twice a week at the worst. The furnace doesn't (seem) to create anymore ash then my inside wood stove used to. I burn oak in my furnace.

I wouldn't have bought mine if it didn't have the flap with the solenoid that covers the blower when off, and opens the flap when the blower is on. I only "fill" my furnace once a week with water, and it doesn't evaporate water much at all. I just go real slow when adding the water, and do it when the stove is about ready to shut off or has just shut off. I do it when the stove is the hottest to ensure that it is full of water. If you do it when the stove is about ready, or has just come on, it will overflow with water when the water is at its hottest point of the cycle.

If one had the means to build their own furnace, you could incorporate all the good features in each furnace on the market and really have a perfect furnace!

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »

Burying your lines deeper is going to have 0 benefit

Just because u can see it on surface doesnt mean your not heating the same 30 inch zone of soil, just deeper down
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »

New one came on Monday finalized the electrical today she's up and running, the only thing I'm not crazy about is filling furnace wtf is that all about I guess I'm going to have to tap into the return line for fresh water fill that was crazy over 2 hrs to fill and took a bit to get a good fire but no it's hitting temp and back off the grid..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

precision

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »

Make sure you get a check valve on that fresh water line so there's no chance of boiler water getting in your fresh water. Another expense that wouldn't have to be if they would have just put the fill hole on top. Its great trying to get your boiler treatment in it. I keep trying to like this thing but with 4 hookups in the back and 4 pumps bought and only able to use 1 because the stove cant handle anymore its a little hard to look positive at it. I'm headed to the cold shop now to build a new ash grate for it the other :bash: gave out last night.   

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »

New one came on Monday finalized the electrical today she's up and running, the only thing I'm not crazy about is filling furnace wtf is that all about I guess I'm going to have to tap into the return line for fresh water fill that was crazy over 2 hrs to fill and took a bit to get a good fire but no it's hitting temp and back off the grid..

Glad you got it running. I have the domestic water coil in mine. I tee'd into the water supply line from the water heater and used the bottom port as a fill point. I have 3 sets of hookups.

Thought mine would never fill up with water too.  ;)

I took a funnel with an 2' hose attached to it, shoved it in the overflow port all the way, and added the water treatment that way. Didn't spill anything.  :thumbup:

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »

slimjim,

I went to the Portage and Main website (which is hard to navigate) and never found the rope gaskets. Can you direct me to them please?

sizmo

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »

Make sure you get a check valve on that fresh water line so there's no chance of boiler water getting in your fresh water. Another expense that wouldn't have to be if they would have just put the fill hole on top. Its great trying to get your boiler treatment in it. I keep trying to like this thing but with 4 hookups in the back and 4 pumps bought and only able to use 1 because the stove cant handle anymore its a little hard to look positive at it. I'm headed to the cold shop now to build a new ash grate for it the other :bash: gave out last night.   

Please put pictures up of your new grate! I'm going to make mine "finer" so the coals stay put longer.

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »

Glad you got it running. I have the domestic water coil in mine. I tee'd into the water supply line from the water heater and used the bottom port as a fill point. I have 3 sets of hookups.

Thought mine would never fill up with water too.  ;)

I took a funnel with an 2' hose attached to it, shoved it in the overflow port all the way, and added the water treatment that way. Didn't spill anything.  :thumbup:p

Lol I think I spilled half the first bottle of treatment didn't have a hose to Att.. To funnel so I used funnel with flex tube still didn't work.. I removed the extra plug top of tank and filled it with garden hose until it reached the top then the rest through though over flow what a PITA.....

Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 06:41:48 AM »

slimjim,

I went to the Portage and Main website (which is hard to navigate) and never found the rope gaskets. Can you direct me to them please?
They won't be on the website as we don't market them however if you need them simply call Brian,let him know how much you need and he will send it out
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

aries9245

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »

I agree with you same here only 5-6 hrs with mine  I'm using all seasoned hard wood, very disappointed a lot of money not getting what I expected.. Had a small furnace previously to this that had only 35 gallon tank had same burn time
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Pages: 1 [2]