Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: BL vs Optimizer ease of use  (Read 1216 times)

daveP

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
BL vs Optimizer ease of use
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »

I'm leaning towards a P&M primarily because that is what my brother has had for 5-6 years and it has been a very good unit.  He burns 10 cords of wood per year in it and it truly is load the box full, light with a torch (it there are no coals), close the door and walk away.  Weekly or so he cleans the ash box.  Seasonally does more pm, not sure exactly what it is.  He does get a little creosote in the chimney, and the water pump is not making unpleasant noises, but nothing major has happened.  No fancy proprietary controls or anything.

This is the simplicity that I would like as well.  Burning wood isn't a hobby for me, just a way to use a very cheap fuel source.  I have other hobbies that are much more interesting to me  :)

Does the BL have a similar use model?  What about the optimizer series?  What is the typical use model for each.

Are my expectations completely out of whack?

thanks,
dave

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: BL vs Optimizer ease of use
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »

I guess that I'm confused, What exactly is a use model
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

daveP

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:47 AM »

sorry 'bout that.

Use model: recommended way to use the product.

Maintenance, daily, weekly. seasonal?
Loading, firing, etc?

Sorry I tried to give examples for my brothers boiler, as that is all I know.  To light it, just load it, hit it with the torch, close the door and walk away.  I've read that for some gassers you need to get a bed of coals, then load the rest of the wood, not sure if that is all.  Cleaning or turbulators (are they there?), etc.

dave

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

BL vs Optimizer ease of use
BL = Load and fire with a torch low yearly maintance clean ash pan out when it starts to fill up.
Optimizer = Build a fire get it going add wood set your wood loads for 12 hour burn times, some cleaning
around 3 to 4 weeks of the heat exchanger tubes need to be brushed out takes 15 min.
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help