Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HE in attic, getting air out?  (Read 3775 times)

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
HE in attic, getting air out?
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

What is the best practice to get air out of line in the attic?  I suspect i need to fillthe line with water starting at the high point?  Maybe and air purge valve also?

mikenc

• View Profile
Re: HE in attic, getting air out?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »

you can fill from low point as long as pressure is enough to push air to high point. You will need vent at high point. most any home has enough pressure to push air out. City water or well pump. Vent can be as simple as tee with valve to discharge air.

rhugg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

Interesting, you'd hook up the house water (garden hose) to the out side of the circulator pump and fill it?  Guess I'd add a T and valve with a hose coonection?  The Taco 00R has a check valve but I don't think it can lift as high as I need without the return line being full and pulling.

Once I get the air out, I'll have an air purge at the high point, will the return line stay full when the pump shuts off?

Thanks

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »

i have a hose bib in my line at the furnace well before the pump and also a valve at the furnace. i close off the valve and make sure my pump is off. this way no water can go backwards into the stove. i open the hose bib vlave and force water through the supply line under the homes pressure, i let it run and come back into the stove through teh return line. i jsut let it overfow the stove and when i am quite sure there are no more bubbles coming out i open the valve for the stoves suction line and turn on the pump and then shut the hose bib off
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »

get you an isolator valve flange with the water faucet connection on it and put it below your pump, back fil the system and it will shove the water right out as it goes, not had this fail yet. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

rhugg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »

That looks like the ticket.  Pexuniverse shows a Webstone Isolator Flange Valve pair w/ drain for $44.  It looks like an 'elegant' solution.  I'll look when I get home, I may need to drain the OWB to install them.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/product/webstone-40414-isolator-flange-valves

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:57:36 AM by rhugg »

rhugg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »

I looked at my setup.  I have a hose bib on the return line from the attic and there is a valve between the hose bib and the OWB.  So I will crack the flange at the circulator and feed water up the return line thru the HE and down the supply line to the circulator.  Once there is no air coming thru the flange I will tighten up the flange.  At this point I may have a slight amount of air in the circulator itself but once I open the valve to let water to the circulator and run it it should be OK?  I will have a vent at the high point.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »

That looks like the ticket.  Pexuniverse shows a Webstone Isolator Flange Valve pair w/ drain for $44.  It looks like an 'elegant' solution.  I'll look when I get home, I may need to drain the OWB to install them.

http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/product/webstone-40414-isolator-flange-valves

Thanks.

That is the exact flange that I use.  You can get them cheaper than that though, I pay around 29 for them
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

donahuej

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »

maid-o-mist