Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Taco 011  (Read 2624 times)

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
Taco 011
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »

Is there a reason why the pump is to run all the time and not have it run when it is needed for hot water plate or Heat exchange ?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: Taco 011
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »

Is there a reason why the pump is to run all the time and not have it run when it is needed for hot water plate or Heat exchange ?
The pumps on all OWB brands are designed to run 24 hrs as long as you have a live fire in it...If the pump didnt run..You would over heat the OWB..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »

The pumps on all OWB brands are designed to run 24 hrs as long as you have a live fire in it...If the pump didnt run..You would over heat the OWB..

I Donno about that....  If your losing that much heat cause your pump is running something is wrong

I've got a lot of folks who won't pay for a bypass and on spring days will simply close valves on stove and turn pump off and not boil over or anything

But in regards to the original question, your system is designed for it to run all the time, what are you thinking?!  I mean are you looking to save elec or what
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »

I Donno about that....  If your losing that much heat cause your pump is running something is wrong

I've got a lot of folks who won't pay for a bypass and on spring days will simply close valves on stove and turn pump off and not boil over or anything

But in regards to the original question, your system is designed for it to run all the time, what are you thinking?!  I mean are you looking to save elec or what

Worried about heat exchange burning out when fan isn't blowing thur it...

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »

these wet rotor pumps that most of us use will and DO pump some air thrugh our lines most of the time, as long as this airis moving constantly in the water we see no problems. Now stopping your pump  and restarting it may (i say may) give the air in the lines enough time to collect in one high spot in your lines and cause an air lock that when restarted, the pump can not overtake. The you got a problem

:-\
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »

Not sure the boiler would overheat in mine as long as the aquastat was working and set low enough Matty, I had a main pump impeller failure that happened slowly over some time but I never boiled it over.
 In my setup it probably depends on ground temps and load but seems like DHW recovery would be slower.   Our load is slab heated floor, garage heat, DHW and outdoor hot tub and in zero temps the whole system needs the pump constantly. In warmer temps with warmer soil temps I could see where you may be able to slow or stall the pump. Some systems with very short well insulated lines in warmer climates and this may work.
But your boiler did heat up than normally when the pump failed..I guess thats my point..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »

Worried about the coil burning up?  I'm confused

Or the pump?!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697