Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: gpm to shoot for  (Read 8710 times)

peeworm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoors
  • OWF Model: rancher 365
    • View Profile
gpm to shoot for
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

I was wondering about how many gpm i should try to get from my system
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnaces Rancher 365
1990 Ford F250 4x4 IDI diesel
Huskee 22 ton splitter
Husky 460 rancher
Poulan Pro 255
1215 Massey Ferguson 4x4 tractor with fel

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: gpm to shoot for
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »

Depends on a lot of different factors, with no info on anything your doing, it's impossible to say
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

peeworm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »

ok when you install a boiler how many gallon per minute do you shoot all i want is a round about number
Huskee 22 ton splitter
Husky 460 rancher
Poulan Pro 255

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »

It depends, am I going to forced air through a plate, am I going to multiple forced air, am I going through a header system, what are the btu requirements of the home or job were asking it to do...

You'll have to give us a full detail of your system, because it could vary depending on what your doing with it.

There all not installed the same way and each job is unique, so it's not something I can just say 5gpm will be fine, it could be,  but it could also be the early death of your boiler if 5gpm isn't enough to carry the heat demands your job places on the unit
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

peeworm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »

im running a grundfos alpha pump about 75' to a 30 plate heat exchanger for hot water and then about 2' to a 20"x20" water to air heat exchanger and back to the boiler there are no 90's in the line. oh and the heat exchangers are about 8' below the boiler.
Huskee 22 ton splitter
Husky 460 rancher
Poulan Pro 255

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

The grundfos alpha will have to be ran on high to do that job, hopefully you do have 1" lines for that

The alpha although a good pump, senses changes in head pressure to ramp up and slow down, your systems head pressure won't change, so therefore the pump will slow down and won't be effective

So to use that pump, you can, but you can't run it on auto, run it on high, which is still only 40 watts and you'll be fine! 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »

im running a grundfos alpha pump about 75' to a 30 plate heat exchanger for hot water and then about 2' to a 20"x20" water to air heat exchanger and back to the boiler there are no 90's in the line. oh and the heat exchangers are about 8' below the boiler.

your head loss will not be high so shooting for the recomended flow rates would be acceptable 8 gpm for 1 inch pex and 12 gpm for 1 1.4 pex

you can as scott said get  by with less if yoru heat load is not high. the faster you move your water the less heat you will take from it and the higher your return temps will be to your boiler (good thing) i believe scott also mentioned this
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

Yep, it's "possible" that the pump could work on auto and his home be warm, but there could be destruction on the boiler end of the loop due to cold return temperatures

But with what he's described, if its ran on high he will be fine, warm, and the boiler will be happy too
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:43:46 PM by Scott7m »
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

peeworm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »

I just filled the boiler and fired the pump up and i getting 5 to 6 gpm on high just wondering if that might be enough to heat a drafty old house with updated windows and new insulation.
Huskee 22 ton splitter
Husky 460 rancher
Poulan Pro 255

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

I just filled the boiler and fired the pump up and i getting 5 to 6 gpm on high just wondering if that might be enough to heat a drafty old house with updated windows and new insulation.

I think so, def couldn't go much lower but I think it will suffice.  Just be sure to run boiler around 170-180 and it will help
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:17:49 AM »

This is one of the few times that I will disagree with Scott and it may be totally because of product, we want our boilers to be run as hot as possible without steaming off, usually mine are run between 185 and 195, with a large heat load like greenhouses or dry kiln's I will run our chip boiler as high as 208, it is far better to run them hot and pay attention to the Delta T, there should be no more than a 20 degree temp difference from the supply to the return on any boiler. Install temp guages on the supply and return at your manifold and monitor it, adjust pump size or speed accordinly. the temp guages can also alert the homeowner if there is a problem with a pump or a heat exchanger  getting plugged up. This is one of the big differences of an installation that costs 18,000 and one that costs 15,000. Cheaper is not always the best way to go.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »

Slim, I don't see how you were disagreeing with me at all????

Most of the folks on these forums try to run there boilers 145-160, as per many manufacturers recommendations, I was hoping and that saying 180 would encourage him to run it higher than most users of that brand of stove and such.

The reason being was all about the delta t, his pump is big enough according to any chart I have, but if he runs at to low or a temp it could be an issue regardless

Not sure where you disagree?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

peeworm

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »

I am planning 180 or 190 degrees on thee boiler. i also installed the check valve i the pump how much do you all think that will hurt the gpm.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:47:36 AM by peeworm »
Huskee 22 ton splitter
Husky 460 rancher
Poulan Pro 255

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »

The check valve won't make a huge difference but I would take it out. It really isn't needed on an OWB system and I have seen them cause pumps to get airlocked.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »

I guess that was perhaps not worded properly, sorry Scott, I hear people at the shows all the time speaking about running their boilers at 160 and below to try and save wood, in my opinion this is not a good idea as it promotes condensation within the boiler, I would far sooner see much higher water temps, this helps control condensation and creosote which we all know leads to premature corrosion inside the boiler. My friend Dave that sold the other brand boiler at Acton fair says that his factory aquastat will only go as high as 180, honestly I can't understand why a manufacturer would want to keep the temp so low. the aquastat is a love control and I know that the parameters can be adjusted, do you know if this would void any warranties as he will be doing the Rochester NH. show with me as well and we feel that we would like to turn it up.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.
Pages: [1] 2