Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Proper fan speed, forced draft question.  (Read 4117 times)

Acetylene420

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home Built
    • View Profile
Proper fan speed, forced draft question.
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:04:12 AM »

I've been running the outdoor boiler I built for 6 weeks or so. Knock on wood, everything seems to be going good so far.

I've been fine tuning the boiler operation since I started it up. Slow fan with open flue damper, fast fan with partially closed damper, covered slots in grate, open slots etc...

My question:

Is there any "rule of thumb" for those who run forced draft boilers? Should the fan be on high speed, forcing tons of air into firebox to create a super hot, fast burning fire to heat the water very fast?

Should the fan be slowed down to create a more "stable" fire similar to the rate at which a regular woodstove burns? I'm thinking it would end up using more wood due to the cooler fire.

I currently have the fan turned up quite high and have very little visible smoke coming out of the chimney when the boiler is cycling.

I'm just curious what the rest of you have found to be the most efficient combination of fan speed, damper settings and whatever else you all do.

Thanks everyone!!

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: Proper fan speed, forced draft question.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »

I run my damper open 100% and my fan is a single speed, all out!  It really gets roaring!  I talked to a couple guys with the same stove I have and this is what they've found to be most effective, so I haven't tinkered with it.  I get practically no visible smoke and creasote has been a non-issue. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:10:54 AM »

I try to run mine just beyond smoking.

As soon as I notice the smoke go clear I leave my fan alone. My fan has a plate
I can slide to dampen the fan.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »

My stove runs the same as CountryBoyJohn, full open.  If its freshly loaded w/wood, it smokes quite a bit initially, but once the fire gets going good, virtually no visible smoke.  When I load wood, I try to thin my coal bed back toward the center of the stove and try to concentrate the heat toward the middle of the firebox.  Otherwise, it tends to force the air up at the front of the stove by the door and raises the temps at the door considerably.  I think I get better heat transfer from the firebox to the water if I keep the heat concentrattion nearer to the center of the firebox.  No scientific evidence of this, but makes me feel better!
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

SKAMPO

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Nature Comfort
  • OWF Model: 175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

On mine if I have the damper wide open it will shoot flames out the stack. Not very efficient if you ask me, sure theirs no smoke but it's forcing a lot of heat out the stack. I like the recommendation of running the fan just on the verge of smoking, that's what I shoot for on mine also.  :thumbup:

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »

Just one speed option on my fan..It turns on, then when the thermostat is satisfied fan will turn off..My boiler smokes the most after a fill up..After the first cycle or 2.. After that theres nothing for smoke..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Flyfishjt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Woodsman 405
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »

Just curious as to where and what your dampers look like. I've been having an issue with smoke on my earth and I'm beginning to wonder if it's more of a air volume issue. Idk

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »

If you have an efficient furnace that captures the heat ( like country boy has) then run the fan wide open. It will burn cleaner and keep the furnace cleaner. If you have an inefficient furnace and you get flame out the stack I would turn it down some just for safety concerns.   
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »

On mine if I have the damper wide open it will shoot flames out the stack. Not very efficient if you ask me, sure theirs no smoke but it's forcing a lot of heat out the stack. I like the recommendation of running the fan just on the verge of smoking, that's what I shoot for on mine also.  :thumbup:
You have a damper on a nature's comfort NCB175? If it is shooting flames out when you open it, it is probably burning out the creosote that built up in the chimney because of the damper. Try leaving it open and cutting back the intake air. That is how it was designed to operate.

Acetylene420

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »

First, thanks to everyone for all of the info!

I can see the consensus is open damper with high fan speed. That's what I was thinking also.

I assume the idea is to get the wood burning super hot and super fast with minimal cycle times.

I'm going to try a higher fan speed along with openings damper much more than it is.

Ill let you know what happens.

Thanks again everyone!