Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Skid Steer Root Grapple Buckets  (Read 4647 times)

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
Skid Steer Root Grapple Buckets
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »

I was going to revive the 2016 thread but thought better of it as things have changed and the cost of steel has went up.....or at least that's what it looks like by the price of the new grapples.

I have an old 60" Titan root grapple with the double thumbs. Solid grapple, a little bent up but no complaints. It has the greasable pivot points and cost me a little under $900 shipped back about 8 years ago. The same grapple now is $1579 shipped.

So my question is who is running what and what did you pay including freight? Im looking for a 72" or bigger with double thumbs and greasable pivot points. Reason being I have a bigger machine now.Titan has this one:

https://www.palletforks.com/skid-steer-attachments/grapples/grapple-buckets/72-skid-steer-root-grapple-bucket-attachment.html

I'd like to stay under $2k     
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Skid Steer Root Grapple Buckets
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:03:23 AM »

Following... For my entire life we've been loading every block by hand, trailering home, unloading by hand and stacking. Last year finally I saw someone using a grapple and ended up trading him a bottle of Crown to use it for a weekend. That was a Virnig MFG brand (their factory is 20 miles from here but they are national) and is VERY well built (but also 4 grand), but the tines had a weird V wedge that would get blocks stuck in them. Heck of a lot better than loading by hand but less than ideal for firewood. I've been looking all winter at different brands and most seem to be local manufacturers, no big name items down in the affordable range. Few weeks ago I was at a consignment auction with a handful of new ones with double thumbs, looked very well built with nice tines and they all sold in the $800-1100 range. I couldn't justify spending that on something I use once a year when I can rent one for $26, but I've got an offer in on a 40 acre wooded parcel down the road so now I may be in the market again

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »

Mine has the kinda weird V thing in the center, its for uprooting small trees….
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »

I want a grapple mostly for felling trees, collecting the brush with the grapple, and carrying it over the hill I push the brush down.  It makes a good habitat for small wildlife and it's a lot easier than running it through a chipper. 

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

I bought mine from this place http://wildkatattachments.com/grapples.html
It works ok but looks like they cut all the metal with a torch and hand weld everything. When I bought mine, I called them and they gave me a much better price than what was shown on their site.

I am not sure how they compare to the Titan. I went with it instead of the Titan because it was made in USA and the Titan was made in China. I am guessing the Titan fit and finish may be better but I don't really care that much about looks on something like this.

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:13 PM »

It works ok but looks like they cut all the metal with a torch and hand weld everything. When I bought mine, I called them and they gave me a much better price than what was shown on their site.

I am not sure how they compare to the Titan. I went with it instead of the Titan because it was made in USA and the Titan was made in China. I am guessing the Titan fit and finish may be better but I don't really care that much about looks on something like this.

The 72" #6 from your link is damn near identical to the 72" Titan. Costs about the same as well. Looks dont matter to me either altho I question the "made in the usa"on a lot of things. Very well maybe ASSEMBLED here in the U S of A but using "Chinese steel" as some call it. Who knows? Thanks for the link   
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »

Paid about $900 awhile back from a place in Indianapolis, freight didn’t cost me anything as Dad had a truck coming back from that direction anyways.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »

The 72" #6 from your link is damn near identical to the 72" Titan. Costs about the same as well. Looks dont matter to me either altho I question the "made in the usa"on a lot of things. Very well maybe ASSEMBLED here in the U S of A but using "Chinese steel" as some call it. Who knows? Thanks for the link

I bought the stump grapple from Wildkat, I believe.  A local dealer carried their stuff.  It's been good.  The Grapple got a little twisted from hauling around a 40' red pine without having it balanced perfectly, but still works just fine.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »

I bought the stump grapple from Wildkat, I believe.  A local dealer carried their stuff.  It's been good.  The Grapple got a little twisted from hauling around a 40' red pine without having it balanced perfectly, but still works just fine.

I’ve not twisted my grapple yet, but have watched the entire loader frame flex on the Bobcat from not having a tree balanced.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »

I’ve not twisted my grapple yet, but have watched the entire loader frame flex on the Bobcat from not having a tree balanced.

Yikes.  Good to know.  Thankfully that didn't happen.  We had cut a tree down across our private road and I needed to move it in a hurry.  Usually I only carry around 8' logs...
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »

After looking over a lot of different brands I bought a Rock grapple (because I farm also I wanted it for multi purpose) and Pallet forks from Prime Attachments. Seems to be very well built and was free shipping for me as I bought them at a farm show and 2 attachments at the same time. They are made in Minnesota. Was well under $2000 also. They have many different attachments as well.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter