Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Soft vs Hard wood - Worth the switch  (Read 4756 times)

dhymers

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
    • View Profile
Soft vs Hard wood - Worth the switch
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:45 PM »

I am using a small wood doctor that is about 10 years old now to heat up an old 1500sqft farm house.  Last winter (my first there) I burned all soft wood cut and went though just over 20 cord and was debating if burning hardwood would make that much of a difference in the wood consumption.  I see alot of guys on here burning 7-8 to 12 cord a year with similar heating requirements if not more than I am.  If my consumption reduces by half with hardwood it would certainly be more cost effective.

Thoughts?

Thanks

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: Soft vs Hard wood - Worth the switch
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »

I'm not sure what kind of softwood you are burning but if you burn hardwood you will see a HUGE difference in your consumption.  For example, oak has about twice the BTU content as pine.  You will build a better coal bed with hardwood and things will work much better for you.   You should be able to cut your consumption in half just by switching to hard woods.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »

Google up a firewood BTU chart and you'll be able to see exactly how much you gain/loose between different trees. If you were burning popple or white pine last year and switched to something like oak, you'll notice a big difference. But comparing something like a Norway pine or douglas fir to a hardwood like elm or ash, shows they arent all that much different. It really depends on which trees your trying to compare.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »

Good info pointblank.  I use the sweeps library chart.  It seems to be pretty close to all the other ones out there. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:31:26 AM »

I burn a lot of tulip poplar as well which is technically a hardwood, but I’ll burn half as much red elm, ash or had maple. Something like cottonwood or basswood is barely worth cutting up, don’t have a lot of pine in our area.

Finding a reliable BTU chart is also a very good ideal.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »

good hardwood can take up to twice as long to cure (dry) if you burn good hardwood too wet you may not gain many btu  compared to well seasoned soft wood ?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »

I burn what wood is convenient.  Last year I had 2/3 of a massive three trunked white oak fall over, so I'll be burning a lot of white oak this year.  I also have a handful of smaller trees I need to kill on the property.  Some are silver maple (hard?) and some are bradford pear (HARD!!!), but they all burn just fine.  I have no issue burning pine, but I only have one coniferous tree on my property and I rather like that big old fir out front. 

dhymers

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »

Ok thanks for the replies, last year it was mostly pine and spruce and looking at mostly oak this year. I think ill take the plung and hope for the best.  Ill make sure i have access to additional wood over the winter just in case though:)

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 01:43:32 PM »

I have never burned spruce and don't know what kind of pine you have.  But what I call softwood in this part of Mo. I won't even haul home.  Gum, sycamore maple and willow.

I am pretty sure it takes me longer to cut it up than it does to burn it... It is only slightly better than cardboard :)

I think you will burn less than half as much wood if you switch to seasoned oak and hickory. I also like ash and elm is ok.

Just my opinion.

Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
 There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
 There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
 The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »

hey if its free chuck it in .its sure to make some heat ;)
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »

hey if its free chuck it in .its sure to make some heat ;)
...unless its a tire  ::)

**Which by the way is not recommended in any stove, fireplace or firepit, but who sees the thick black smoke after dark  ;)

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »

I didn't burn either exclusively last year, I would burn hardwood at night and softwood during the day, only had two cord of softwood, but it does have btus.
Western Maine