Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thermostatic valve questions.  (Read 2234 times)

Mrfoto

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Edge 750
    • View Profile
Thermostatic valve questions.
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:04 AM »

Im a NOOB when it comes to the whole OWB thing. Its a new install and I have never done this before. Something is not right just not sure what since I have zero reference and zero experience. This system has been up and running for a week or so and needs to be ironed out.  :bash:

I have shut offs (both lines) as soon as the Thermopex enters the building and before the thermostatic valve. If I close down either of those valves you can hear cavitation and obvious flow to and from the boiler. The thermo valve is 4ft from these valves. Then 50ft more is a second set of valves at my floor loop. If I shut off either of those valves there is no cavitation sound. Is that just "how it is" or do I have a loop issue?

We have heat all thru the loop but IMO (remember Ive never done this before) after the valve the flow seems to have suffered.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Thermostatic valve questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:32:24 AM »

I'd need some pictures to completely understand what you have going on. I'm assuming you're forcing it to bypass through the thermo valve? It may not be an issue.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Mrfoto

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 09:02:01 AM »

No Im not forcing a bypass. Im just  trying to figure out if I have good flow AFTER the thermostatic valve. Any water valve on the planet makes noise, if the pressure behind it is great enough, when you open or close it. I have a shut off valve before the Thermostatic valve and I have one after it. When the boiler loop is at temperature and running. The amount of cavitation noise at the shut off valve BEFORE the Thermostatic valve is much greater than the valve AFTER the thermostatic. Since the noise level goes down seems to me the flow rate did too. Im just trying to figure out if this is normal.

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 02:19:46 AM »

If it's a loop the flow rate will be the same throughout the loop. Unless there's a way it can bypass. Weird.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Mrfoto

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 09:45:15 PM »

Well I think its time to dissect the valve and see what's going on. My luck I will find Jimmy Hoffa in there. Since we didn't find Indian bones doing the Thermopex I guess its about time for something to go wrong. LOL

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 09:03:50 PM »

It this the central boiler thermostatic valve or a thermostatic mixing valve for setting temperature of your floor loop?