Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: optimizer 250 4th season review  (Read 10210 times)

karlk

• View Profile
optimizer 250 4th season review
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »

This is my 4th season heating with a P&M optimizer 250. So far I have burned continuous except for 1 month this summer.
The boiler has worked great with no issues . So far I have changed the door gasket and 2 nozzles both are inexpensive and easy to replace.
There were some upgrades to the air box provided to me from P&M because I have an early model. I clean the boiler every 2 weeks and get very little ash.The boiler gassifies with in minutes of start up. Brian From P&M still calls yearly to see how things are going and to answer any questions. Im not connected with P&M Im just a happy owner with a very warm house!

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: optimizer 250 4th season review
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »

Congratulations. I never really see or hear anybody that has any issues with the P&M's. I think if I was going to buy a new stove that I would likely end up with one.

willowbk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: port/main
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »

karl  are you using p/m replacement nozzle or I thought I read you fab'd your own? my stove is new and running 2.5 months and nozzle is destroyed already and it has never been scraped,picked or proded. very disappointed. I bought replacement with boiler but am leary of putting new one in. will hope they would send me one but not feeling warm and fuzzy. I've only run about 2.5 cords thru this nozzle w/ wood under 20% mc

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »

Wow 2.5 months and your nozzle is worn!
I cast my own and they seem to hold up good. Sounds like p&m might have gotten a bad batch of refractory.
P&M seems to stand behind their products so I dont think they will argue the point.

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to all the parts of my opt 250 but what exactly does a broken nozzle mean to the running of the unit?  I've noticed mine has chunks missing from around it but it burns flawlessly part way into its third year.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »

I too am on my 4th or 5th year and am enjoying this one the most, the boiler is running smooth, just finished my second cord ( fired Oct 1). Havent replaced nozzle yet, just buy some new firebrick, I have a lot of high temp silicone for door gaskets, seems to be holding up good. it should get a good workout tonight, temp is down to 5 above, house is 73.
Western Maine

willowbk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: port/main
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

guys when i mentioned nozzle is broken i meant the edges are all broken off and the opening is no longer the 3/4"-1" wide it is more like 2+". it still gasses fine but i'm getting excessive coal/ember chunks down in reaction chamber where i have to scrape them out daily or so. i am going to try just using some firebricks to close up gap for now. although the ones i could get were only rated for 1200 so i think they wont last long. i'm debating about installing a replacement, how big of a deal is it? thnx

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:16 AM »

If you have a newer model boiler its easy to replace the nozzle. I use a long crow bar and a brick as a lever and push up from under the nozzle.
Sometimes a good whack with a hammer from the top works also.
If you have an older boiler like mine you need to cut the floor to accept the new nozzle.

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:36:51 AM »

jrider you dont want the nozzle to wear to the point of your main floor eroding , its much easier to replace the nozzle than the floor surrounding it.
My boiler had the opening cast into the floor, so the floor was the nozzle. The top was wearing  so I cut the floor to the shape of the nozzle.     This was not a fun job but now its easy to change.

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 08:04:06 AM »

This is my second year with the P&M 250 and I'm happy with it as well.  Kinda looks like I might be replacing nozzles every year with the amount of wood I push through.  I'll have to tap into karlk as a source for nozzles!  I'm experimenting with a steel plate as a nozzle cover and it seems to be holding up ok.  I'll keep you all posted with status updates.

I heat 3000 square feet plus 2 garages.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »

jreimer I would be glad to set you up with a nozzle. How much wood do you burn a year?

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »

I burn 18-20 full cords a year.  A completely full firebox every 12 hours for 6 months of the year is average.  Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the weather. 

After my first full year of burning the original nozzle was literally falling apart.  I replaced the nozzle this summer with a new one from P&M but noticed that after only a few weeks the new one started to have small chips and rounded corners already.  Seeing that led me to believe the new nozzle would not last any better than the original.  That is what spurred me on to try a steel plate with slot over the top of the nozzle.

Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

Thats a lot of wood! You must have a big heat load.
I burn between 8-9 full cord and I thought that was a lot.

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »

Update on my metal nozzle cover...

I have attached two pictures of some of the 1/4" steel that I made a make-shift nozzle cover from.  As you can see the carbon is cooking out of the metal pretty badly but it has held up for over a month and I have pushed several cords through it already. 

Not such great news for the refractory nozzle under the metal plate though.  Attached is a picture of the big chunk that just fell off when I lifted the metal nozzle cover.  It has deteriorated on its own under the metal cover.  I'm hoping that this just broke off because of a manufacturing defect.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

jreimer, is that a replaceable nozzle in your boiler?   
Western Maine
Pages: [1] 2 3