Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vertical Y Type Strainer filter  (Read 2849 times)

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
Vertical Y Type Strainer filter
« on: October 19, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »

Is there a problem installing a Y Type Strainer filter vertically at the boiler, where the line goes into the ground under the boiler's service door before the water pump? I have little room inside, and it would be much easier at the boiler. All the mess is outside.

thanks.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Vertical Y Type Strainer filter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:57:42 PM »

Do you mean you are putting it between the boiler and pump? If so, that is not a good idea. If after the pump, which way it your pump mounted? Does it point up or down. If down, I wouldn't put it there either since it would be below the bottom of the boiler.

About half way down on this page it shows the mounting positions that can be used. http://media.wattswater.com/1915978.pdf

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

RSI;
thanks for the reply, and the info.
I am trying to find a good place for it.
I have a NCB250 coal which I love, other then my awesome dealer no longer around and I can't find anyone who could support my boiler in Ohio. Anyway.
Last year (my boiler's 3rd year), I took out the drain plug that is in the bottom of the boiler, and there was no water draining because there was some sediment. I rinsed out the boiler, but I thought it might be a good idea to put in a filter because I have both DHW side arm, and water/air plenum heat exchanger for central heat for the boiler.
I prefer to keep it outside in case it leaks, but I understand that it probably be best in the basement before the incoming water goes to the DHW sidearm and then to the water/air exchanger.
Q1; where do you prefer the filter at? in the house before the DHW, and water air exchanger?
Q2; I'd like to get a high quality easy to clean filter, even if it's more money. Which one, or is there one you recommend?

I have pex pipes, and I do have room in the basement to instal one. I'd like to get a good one, that is easy to clean.

I just changed the door seals, so we are ready to go.

Thanks a lot.

Do you mean you are putting it between the boiler and pump? If so, that is not a good idea. If after the pump, which way it your pump mounted? Does it point up or down. If down, I wouldn't put it there either since it would be below the bottom of the boiler.

About half way down on this page it shows the mounting positions that can be used. http://media.wattswater.com/1915978.pdf

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »

If you want an actual filter instead of a strainer, I don't think there are many options out there. Rusco makes one. The version that is rated for enough temp is the black spin down. There is another brand that is similar but I can't remember the name right now. I think both only come in 3/4" or 1-1/4".
I would go with the 1-1/4" or else clean it fairly often.

It probably doesn't make a huge difference where you put it in the system. I would put a bypass around it and valves so you can clean it without having to shut anything down.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:44:16 PM »

Hey RSI, do you always put a strainer in your installs? My supplies are mid way up on the back of the boiler and it has a 1" drain at the bottom. Just wondering if you flush the drain periodically if that would be sufficient?
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »

Thanks guys.
I got a 1" y-strainer on ebay that was already assembled with the shark bite push connectors.
like this one http://www.freeheat4u.com/search.asp?keyword=y+strainer&search=

thanks

If you want an actual filter instead of a strainer, I don't think there are many options out there. Rusco makes one. The version that is rated for enough temp is the black spin down. There is another brand that is similar but I can't remember the name right now. I think both only come in 3/4" or 1-1/4".
I would go with the 1-1/4" or else clean it fairly often.

It probably doesn't make a huge difference where you put it in the system. I would put a bypass around it and valves so you can clean it without having to shut anything down.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »

Hey RSI, do you always put a strainer in your installs? My supplies are mid way up on the back of the boiler and it has a 1" drain at the bottom. Just wondering if you flush the drain periodically if that would be sufficient?
I used to but quit because no one ever cleaned them. If you put them in you should open and clean them at least once or twice a year even if you never find anything in them. Otherwise if it does plug up you might not be able to get it open.

If you have stuff floating in the water when you pull a sample, then I would consider adding a filter. If it is perfectly clean then it probably is all settled out and the filter won't catch much anyway.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:07:54 AM »

Sounds good and makes sense. Thanks.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter