Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: We have had so much rain here I can't get a wood delivery and I'm almost out  (Read 3898 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile

Here in Michigan we have had so much rain, my clay soil is saturated with moisture.  I have not been able to get a wood delivery for weeks due to the dump trailers sinking and getting stuck.  I think tomorrow is my chance, we are getting down to the single digits tonight, but I have a 4 inch layer of snow insulating the wet and rather warm soil.  I'm so frustrated,  I think my only chance is to shovel the back yard grass to allow it to freeze.  I can only imagine what the farmers are feeling around here with crops sitting in the field.

intensedrive

• View Profile

The shoveling seemed to work, ground froze over better.  The dump trailer with two cords of wood only sunk in slightly.   8) 

This will last me about 20 days, I burn about 1 cord every 10 days.

OTR

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: 7200
    • View Profile

Reminds me of last year in upstate NY. It started raining in early August and didn't stop until late spring the next year. Tore the bejeezus out of my lawn trying to move wood around.

Are those loads well seasoned and dry? Where I'm at, getting seasoned and dry wood is impossible. You can buy a bunch of green wood from guys who will tell you it's seasoned, though.
Stihl 660cm
Huskee 22tn Splitter
Moving to coal next season (same OWB)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

I can only imagine what the farmers are feeling around here with crops sitting in the field.

It’s been a horrible year here as well. June 2018 to June 2019 was the wettest 1 year period ever recorded here.

Rained thru most of April and a good part of May, started planting this year the same day we were power washing the planter to put it away in 2018.

First cutting hay was made late cause of the rain, then when it quit raining, it quit raining. 2nd cutting wasn’t bad but light, didn’t have enough rain to get a third, out of over a hundred acres of hay only thirty was worth mowing a third time, a ZTR could have mowed the other fields.

Now that rain does absolutely no good for anything, it won’t stop again.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

intensedrive

• View Profile

Reminds me of last year in upstate NY. It started raining in early August and didn't stop until late spring the next year. Tore the bejeezus out of my lawn trying to move wood around.

Are those loads well seasoned and dry? Where I'm at, getting seasoned and dry wood is impossible. You can buy a bunch of green wood from guys who will tell you it's seasoned, though.

Wood delivered is mostly dead ash cut.  Burns really nice but is still a bit green.  I think he is mixing in fresh cut.  You are right, the wood delivery guys tend to all lie about what they have.  I have also noticed lots of smaller rounds and sticks mixed in.  I can understand smaller rounds but small branches?  Some of the rounds are so large I can barely lift them into the boiler, but others are small branches.  I'm starting to question if they use the smaller branches to make the wood delivery look larger
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:02:26 PM by intensedrive »

savebigmny

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Cadillac
  • OWF Model: 3600
    • View Profile

I have been burning a bunch of white ash that was standing dead.  It burns for a long time.
Cadillac 3600 OWB
Echo CS-620P saw
Echo SRM2620 trimmer
Bearcat 14HP towable chipper