Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Too much?  (Read 3405 times)

mootsko

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl 2840 shaker grate
    • View Profile
Too much?
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »

Hello all.  New to this forum. 
Is it possible to put too much wood in a BL 2840?
First winter with this stove. Couldn't be working better. Just want to cover all the bases. Thanks!
Madison Ohio

MerrellRoofing

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
Re: Too much?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »

I don't think so. I've had mine pretty full a couple times. My wood is 20"-24". I try to keep the fire in the front. I stick my scraper in and stir the coals a few times. Then stack 4-6" from the door, and have 12-16" of space behind the stack. But I have stacked it all the way to the top a couple times.
Mid-Michigan
Husqvarna-51-261-372xpg-395xp
Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton 25" splitter
Bri-Mar 6x10 Highside dump trailer
Chevy Dually Dumpx2

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »

I've done it as well no problems.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Maxnchej

• OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »

This is my first year as we'll with the bl 2840 and over the past week it had gotten very cold here and I have had to load the stove almost to the top. When I bought the stove was I was told not to load past the brick line and that is just not realistic. I try to only load as much as I need for 12 hours, but with a north wind and very cold temps I have found it hard to make it a gull 12 hours done days.

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »

I have the BL2840 as well and loving my very comfortable home and garage. As temps have dropped close to -20, I have filled it 90% of the way. The only side effect I have seen is that the coal bed prevented air from coming thru from the bottom and started to choke the fire causing temps to drop until I raked it open a bit. Once I did that temps popped right back up. I am burning mostly green beech, so your results may vary with type of wood and how well seasoned.

Just sharing my experience and learning its behavior.

I think I have read the suggestion of not filling wood past the firebrick so that the acidic ash doesn't contact the metal directly. Personally, think that's overthinking the potential problem. I say fill as needed to keep it burning hot for up to 12 hours. Keeping it hot prevent condensation or any moisture from staying in the firebox.

Again, by no means an expert on anything but that's my logic to the question. Time may prove me wrong.

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »

I have the BL2840 as well and loving my very comfortable home and garage. As temps have dropped close to -20, I have filled it 90% of the way. The only side effect I have seen is that the coal bed prevented air from coming thru from the bottom and started to choke the fire causing temps to drop until I raked it open a bit. Once I did that temps popped right back up. I am burning mostly green beech, so your results may vary with type of wood and how well seasoned.

Just sharing my experience and learning its behavior.

I think I have read the suggestion of not filling wood past the firebrick so that the acidic ash doesn't contact the metal directly. Personally, think that's overthinking the potential problem. I say fill as needed to keep it burning hot for up to 12 hours. Keeping it hot prevent condensation or any moisture from staying in the firebox.

Again, by no means an expert on anything but that's my logic to the question. Time may prove me wrong.

I agree with you, there is no way I am going to sit and worry about wood touching the firebox when I load it.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

Maxnchej

• OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »

I try and minimize the amount of wood touching the sides of the stove. It can be rather hard to not have any. Do others try not yo touch the sides?

sceptre74

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »

I load it for the conditions to get my 12 hour burn and never worry about wood touching the sides

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 06:14:42 AM »

Who came up with you can't touch wood to the sides anyway? After a few days burning you have hard  glassy creosote covering all the steel, so the wood is not touching bare steel.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:06:02 PM »

Not sure but think some have come up with this as the reasoning for the fire brick material going partially up the wall or a benefit for it. Agree, it seems like a silly thought but some people just overthink things and myth becomes factual info.

Even if completely wrong, if you state it over and over enough times, it eventually becomes true.  Such as the economy is largely improved and unemployment is at record lows. =)