Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Optimizer 250  (Read 24012 times)

Ridgekid

Re: Optimizer 250
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »

I really only count how many times I get a email a day telling me the Dragon has started a Burn Cycle: This is January so far.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »

Ok I,m not very good at saying what i want too say.   Let me try again.  The boiler puts out enough heat too heat everything i need too. The boiler water is piped into storage. If any zones call for heat the zones pull from storage and not boiler. If no zones calling for heat the incoming water from boiler is going to storage and storage water is going back to boiler, to keep the water moving.  The boiler fires (after watching) 4 to 5 times an hour to keep storage hot with a 10 degree diff. I am not consuming alot of wood, 3 to 4 good sized splits 8" throughout the day @ the temps weve been having. Load the firebox at night. i havent burnt 2.5 cord yet this year. I talked with Brian a little today he said there wasnt a problem with more storage as long as the refractory brick doesnt cool down much, firing at 4 to 5 times an hour doesnt seem like it would cool too much. plus this summer i am going to use it with storage for DHH, so i am thinking i will only need to fire once a week, will keep you posted on that.
Western Maine

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »

Wow i guess i do need that much heat,   boiler was shut down for about 2 hours today cleaning and so on. Looked at the temp on the Johnson control reading 160, looked at temp on the storage going back to boiler 160.  Something is wrong somewhere, will have to get a HVAC tech in to have a look.
Western Maine

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »

coolidge,
   I re-read my last post to you and I feel like I may have came across like a know-it-all. That was not my intention. Sometimes when I say things with good intent, they come out exactly the opposite of what I meant(hey,that rhymes). If I offended you, I'm sorry.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »

No offense taken Marty,  looking for you and everyone else who has one of theses boilers for feedback, what works what doesnt. I listen too what you guys have too say and try to "put it into play". Right now i am trying to figure out why i am losing 20 degrees in a couple hours WITH 600 GAL STORAGE. House is 120 years old, insulated with 4"(R28) closed cell foam exterior walls except north wall R 35 foam. Roof has R42 Foam. I believe it is either the storage as suggested or my underground line that are also foamed.   No clue   boiler is running good today after rearranging refractory brick and cleaning airbox.   Thank for all your help
Western Maine

Bill G

• OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »

Hey Coolidge,

When I let 'er fire burn down for cleaning, it is not uncommon for the boiler temp to drop rather rapidly.  I just chalk that up to being all ports wide open for cleaning, and pump still running with perhaps a zone or 2 in the house calling for heat?  So 20 deg drop over 2 hrs is really better than expected. 

2.5 cords used thus far is probably right around where I'm at.  And, from the graph Ridge showed for burn times per day, I would say I'm fairly close....maybe a tad greater.  But we're surely comparing 2 different animals. 

I still suggest isolating your storage tank, and checking to see how different your owb operates??  No expert here, but it does seem like you are working too hard just to maintain temp on just water storage.  It would stand to reason if your owb kicked on twice an hr., and only once every 2 hrs or so for me...then you would have to be using more wood.  My furnace set at 185/176. 

Then again, with 600 gal of 185 deg water on hand,  and mine with just 240, it would also seem mine should be the one needing to fire more often?  Perplexing dilemma for my simple mind!
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

Well, last night was the coldest this year and tonight is going to be colder. Filled the box around 8 last night and to my SURPRISE at 9 this morning i had roughly two more hours of burning that wood could have done. Threw in three good sized splits of pine and 1 piece of rock maple and i went from 9 am too 4 pm. these things run alot better when its cold out. Now if i could get the tubing to transfer all that heat too the house i should be in good shape.
Western Maine

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »

coolige,
   If you are losing 20* in two hours, that's actually not that bad. 600 gallons times 8.33 pounds per gallon comes to about 5000 pounds. 5000 pounds times 20 degrees is 100,000 btu's. 100,000 btu's divided by 2 hours equals 50,000 btu's/hour. 50,000 btu's times 24 hours/day comes to 1,200,000 btu's/day. At 80% efficiency, you'll get about 5,000 btu's out of a pound of wood transferred to water. 1,200,000 btu's divided by 5,000 btu's comes up to 240 pounds of wood/day. If i remember, seasoned oak(@ 20%mc) is close to 4000 lbs. 4,000 pounds divided by 240 pounds/day comes out to about 17 days/cord. I don't know how many sq.ft. your home is, but if it's something over 3000 sq.ft., you're not doing that bad if you are in an area where the climate is colder.
   Bill brought up a great point that hit home with me this morning when I cleaned mine out. Mine was opened up front and rear, pump unplugged, almost nothing in primary burn chamber for about 15-20 minutes, and with a 19* ambient temperature, I lost 3 degrees, which really surprised me. If 5 of your 20 degrees were lost to the atmosphere in the while you were cleaning(in other words-your home only took the temperature down 15*), that would cut your wood consumption down to 180 lbs./day-which means the same cord would last over 22 days. I would suspect you could have feasibly lost even more than 5* in 2 hours to the atmosphere, which would lower your daily consumption even more.
   I'm wondering if the reason yours is cycling more frequently than mine and Bill's might be because your mechanical aqua stat is set too low. Mine is set at 205* and I've never had an issue. For some reason, from the factory it was set at 180*, so I bumped it up before I ever built a fire.

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

Had a dealer for the PM here today too look over the setup, in a one week timeframe i have 1" to 1.5" of ash built up above the vertical tubes and at least an inch in the final pass.We also checked stack temp and was over 400. he suggested a good cleaning AGAIN and to fabricate some firebrick to make my nozzle smaller. Aquastat set at 195off and on at 180   top air inlet at 5 out bottom 1 out. Will see what happens tommorrow when i make the nozzle smaller.    Whats up with this weather anyway 30s and 40s the rest of the week.
Western Maine

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »

coolige, I pm'd you
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »

Do you guys know of a good place to buy the wire brushes for the heat exchanger tubes? I know dealer but if i can get a good quality one for less. Has anyone seen the chip boiler in action yet? Besides on the PM website. Might have a chance too see on in the next month or so.
Western Maine

skyking

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: 250 Optimizer - Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »

Here are a couple more pictures of my P&M Opt. 250.  I added a couple of lights to the top of the unit:  green -  draft fan is running; red -  fan switch is in the off position; both green and red lights on - fan switch is off and control is calling for draft fan to run.  There are also a couple of pictures inside of the firebox.  Jackel, I know you wanted a couple of pictures of the inside, sorry it took so long.  You can see the draft tube running up the back and across the top, there are 3 - 5/8" holes in the bottom of the top tube, 1 in the bottom at the back, and about 6 on each side of the top tube.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/skyking8416/PMOpt250001.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/skyking8416/PMOpt250002.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/skyking8416/PMOpt250003.jpg
Portage & Main 250 - Gasser

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »

I am kinda of upset with the P&M "parts" dept, i ordered a couple wire brushes OVER TWO WEEKS ago and have yet too recieve them. "keep em clean" hard too do when the cleaning supplies take forever too get here. Off course you cant find them anywhere around you. Will probally take a whole day to clean out those horizontal tubes.  On a good note, its finally a little cooler so the boiler can run like it likes, not much for effiecency.
Western Maine

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »

Ordered one of the expanding brushes from this company today, will see how it works when i get done modifying it.    www.tcwilson.com
Western Maine

skyking

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: 250 Optimizer - Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »

Let us know how it works, looks like it might just be the real deal.
Portage & Main 250 - Gasser
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5