Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Remote temp gauge  (Read 7587 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Remote temp gauge
« on: November 20, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »

Got my temp guage from RSI working finally.  Not his fault... I've had some health problems I've been working through for about a year now...

Anyways, when I ran my ThermoPex, I ran some Cat 5 also.  I put the temp probe in the stove and used some various sizes of copper wire to make a good connection, then sealed it in with some silicone and foam insulation.

My stove is about 100 feet away from my house so I thought  good spot for the gauge would be in the window well above the kitchen sink.  Here you can see the stove and the gauge in the corner of the window.

Here's a better picture of it.  I ran the wires through the wall.

I sure like knowing the temp of the stove as I wake up in the morning.  It tells me just how fast I need to run out there and fill the beast.
Hudson, WI

Ridgekid

Re: Remote temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »

Hopefully your health is better! Nice setup!

When I look out my kitchen window, at about the same angle as you, I see the same thing. Free heat!

Keepem' burnin'!

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »

Nice setup :post:
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »

Hopefully your health is better! Nice setup!

When I look out my kitchen window, at about the same angle as you, I see the same thing. Free heat!

Keepem' burnin'!

Scratch...ditto on what Ridgekid said regarding your health.  I too can look out the sun room windows and see the OWB.  I have a ritual I do every morning I get up and even before I go to bed.  Get up, walk to the sun room and look out at the furnace...is there smoke or heat waves coming from the flue?  Go down stairs and wrap my hand around the pex line to check for the running of the pump along with temp of water.

I really do like the idea of having a remote for the temperature.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely look into doing that come Spring.  Please take good care of your health and stay warm.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

hollyhocks

• OWF Brand: royal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »

I am going to place a remote temp gauge on my boiler.  You said you got your from RI.  Not sure who that is.  I was going to use something that attached to the outfeed pipe running to the house. 

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »

yea i would like to have one. have to go down the stairs to put heat gun to pex.where can you buy one and whats the best kind ,price

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »

Send RSI a pm on this site, he will fix you up
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

clydem

• OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:26:41 PM »

I built my remote temp monitor based on Ridgekid's design with the X-300 it works very well.  My pex comes in the basement and I mounted the X-300 about
3 ft away and connected it to a ethernet switch and to my router. I can access the incoming & outgoing temps from any computer in the house and I have it send low temp alarm emails to my Blackberry.  I am still working out the set points to optimize the indicator temps to let me know when it is the best time to load before the boiler temp drops below 160*.  I think it will save me in the long run from overloading on to a partially burned bed of coals.  I think  it will pay for itself  in just one winter.

See pic
I'll keep you posted as I get the logging, excel spreadsheet and graphing working.

later
Clyde

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:09:05 AM by clydem »
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »

Nice setup scratch, RSI hooked me up as well.  I got my cat5 today and plan on hooking it up after work.  Like you said, it will be nice knowing when I need to add wood.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

sitting in my family room...drinking a beer...and checking my owb temp from my recliner...sweeeeeet

thanks RSI :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:19:57 PM by tbone »
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

hddmax66

• OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »

whats the cost?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »

sitting in my family room...drinking a beer...and checking my owb temp from my recliner...sweeeeeet

sitting at computer..drinking wine..touch my toe on the floor, toasty...all is good, temp at boiler is fine

i have filled the stove on occasion when i get home from work and the blower was going when i filled the stove so i shut it off to prevent all that smoke in the face, and forgot to turn it on when i left. (i guess a remote temp instrument would have told me that after i returned to the house) The next morning i go out to fill the stove...water is 80 degrees (still heating house but not domestic water) I just smile, turn on the blower and think WOW i got a whole night FREE
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »

I use a remote meat temp taped to the incoming line and it works great, instead of running back to the utility room there it is on my desk:)
Now I get a remote feeder for the wood, heck a remote logger to cut, split, and stack too

clydem

• OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »

I have been thinking about adding a blower (draft inducer) wired in tandem to my 5036 draft solenoid. This would speed  the recovery time and I believe the damper would stay open less and use less electricity overall.  My concern is with the x-300 which I use to tell me when to load the boiler "I let it burn down to coals as much as possible depending on outdoor temp". If I add a blower I would like to switch it from a relay triggered on/off by the x-300 on a low temp alarm so if I don't catch the time to load it it don't  burn out all the coals. The solenoid would not be isolated and would open as usual for a natural draft when the x-300 cuts off the blower.

I am just looking for others opinions on this setup.

thanks
Clyde

sitting at computer..drinking wine..touch my toe on the floor, toasty...all is good, temp at boiler is fine

i have filled the stove on occasion when i get home from work and the blower was going when i filled the stove so i shut it off to prevent all that smoke in the face, and forgot to turn it on when i left. (i guess a remote temp instrument would have told me that after i returned to the house) The next morning i go out to fill the stove...water is 80 degrees (still heating house but not domestic water) I just smile, turn on the blower and think WOW i got a whole night FREE
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,