Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Perseverance  (Read 4171 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Perseverance
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:47 AM »

For the past 10 years I've been working hard on losing weight and trying to decrease my chances of a suffering a stroke or heart attack.  I used to weigh well over 200 pound - on someone who's 5'6" tall, that's a problem.  My self esteem, confidence energy had plummeted nearly to the point of no return.  I had to put on blood pressure meds as well as cholesterol meds.  I also had become a board-line diabetic.  I used to smoke 2 and half packs of cigarettes everyday and I was within a few points of going on insulin.  I never could push myself away from the table as long as there was food left uneaten.  Finally, about 10 years ago, with some friendly prodding, I tried walking with my co-workers.  We wouldn't go too far; I was quickly out of breath.  But, it seemed as the weeks went by my stamina increased and the distance of our daily walks increased.  About 5 years ago I began a lite running routine every morning before going to work.  To give you the Reader's Digest version of this story, yesterday I had my yearly physical.  My doc has taken me off my blood pressure meds (my BP has never been in the low 120's over mid 70's) my sugar test read 94, down from 120 (that's tested after fasting for 24 hours) my weight has dropped from 220 to 150.  Doc says this is a good weight for me.  My energy level has gone through the roof.  Oh, I never use the elevator anymore - I run up and down the stairs at work.  It's a 4 story building.  I quit smoking (what a money saver).  And, my eating habits are much healthier.  Did I mention that I'll be 52 in couple of months?  I guess the moral of the story is, if you want something bad enough and you are willing to put the work into it, you can achieve that goal.  Am I going to tell you it was easy?  Hell no!  It was very difficult at first but as time went by it got easier and easier and looked forward to the walks and running.  If I can do it, you can too.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Perseverance
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:34:29 AM »

Great story, I've been trying to quit smoking cigars for years now.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:43:54 AM »

I am in about the same boat Roger, since I retired last year I have gained about 15 pounds. At 6' 1" I am at 215 and need to get back down to about 190 or 195. Your story has inspired me to get off my butt and get rid of this excess weight.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »

I think quitting smoking was easier than cutting back on all of the sweets and sugar.  It's in everything you eat and it's plentiful.  I'm now one of the shoppers who reads the nutritional facts on the side or rear of the packaging.  I don't drink soda anymore - Have you seen the amount of sugar in that stuff?  If the Gov. wants to do something, don't make it mandatory that they cut out the sugar in the foods and drink - tax it instead.  Put all of the revenue in the healthcare system.  Let those who want to eat and drink all of that sugar pay their own healthcare.  Same goes for booze and smokes.  Dang!  I'm starting to sound like a lib!  I generally lean to right of center, politically speaking.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »

I am in about the same boat Roger, since I retired last year I have gained about 15 pounds. At 6' 1" I am at 215 and need to get back down to about 190 or 195. Your story has inspired me to get off my butt and get rid of this excess weight.

It boils down to an attitude/mind set.  Once you have made up your mind to do it, then do it!  My inspiration was really my nephew.  He was 6'1" tall weighed 310.  He's still 6'1" but now weighs 210.  He looks really good.  Again, proper nutrition and exercise will go a long way. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »

Good for you Roger!!    :thumbup:
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

I'm 6'2 and 230 right now.  Like to get down to around 205, pretty big frame to go much lower than that

But I was 240 a few weeks ago, I am going to quit with the processed junk.  Water, veggies, fresh chicken/fish/steak for me.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

This an example of what I usually pack for a lunch.

Peanut butter sandwich on multigrain whole wheat bread
hand full of mini carrots and 2 sticks of celery
1/2 of a cucumber
Plastic container of cantaloupe/pineapple/strawberries mixed.  Sometimes I'll sub the strawberries for blueberries
Apple
Small bar low in calories and low in sugar.  The sugar reading is no more than 10grams.
2 lge thermoses of water.  I filter my water at home. 

With my doctor's blessing on Sunday's I'll eat whatever I want but not overdo it.  That means I can have my candy bar, ice cream, etc... but I have to limit how much I take in due to keeping my sugar under control. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »

I have a berkey water filter in my home to filter all my drinking water

I will be installing a whole house water filter though because even though I'm drinking good water, the shower/toilet water is still causing all of its issues and killing air quality in the home. 

Either going to use an aquasana or pelican. Unless someone has a better option
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »

Did something similar last year, went to doctor for dot physical so I could keep cdl going. Blood pressure was up a bit, so had to go on meds. She did a blood test on me and while everything else looked go my sugar was up, not dangerous, but up. Told her no problem, I can fix that! I love koolaid, and was drinking two jugs of it a day(2 cups of sugar a day) but hey, I'll lose it. In one month, I went from 215 to 185! At 5'11" I don't know if that is target, but I know my knees feel better. And, like you said Roger, the energy level went through the roof! The thing that sucks now is I'm constantly bouncing and looking for more things to do. No, I have no lack of projects, just more that I can't get to now! Now, I just need to cut the cigarettes out.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »

Did something similar last year, went to doctor for dot physical so I could keep cdl going. Blood pressure was up a bit, so had to go on meds. She did a blood test on me and while everything else looked go my sugar was up, not dangerous, but up. Told her no problem, I can fix that! I love koolaid, and was drinking two jugs of it a day(2 cups of sugar a day) but hey, I'll lose it. In one month, I went from 215 to 185! At 5'11" I don't know if that is target, but I know my knees feel better. And, like you said Roger, the energy level went through the roof! The thing that sucks now is I'm constantly bouncing and looking for more things to do. No, I have no lack of projects, just more that I can't get to now! Now, I just need to cut the cigarettes out.

Speed, attitude is everything (I'm no psychologist but I did sleep at an Holiday Inn Hotel last night) :).  To quit smoking, you've got to be ready to do so.  I know, isn't easy.  I quit cold turkey and that was from a 2 1/2 pack per day habit.  Quit cold turkey is not something everyone can do.  Perhaps with the help of your Doc you can come up with a game plan that will eventually lead to a cigarette free life.  I hope you succeed.  Good luck!  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »

roger says it proper...you got to really want it to work. I quit cold turkey as well on teh same 2 1/2 pack a day habit. i quit 3 times before i really quit. i carried a pack in my pocket until they were so dried out the tobacco fell out of the paper. i always felt if i had a pack in my pocket i could take one if i really needed it. i never really needed it i guess. but the first six months or so i used to wake up in a cold sweat dreaming i had started again. those nightmares went away and i knew then that i had them beat. that was (soon to be) 26 years ago

never quit quitting them things
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada