Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Perfect storm  (Read 1680 times)

MiHawkeye

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heiss Heater
  • OWF Model: gasifier
    • View Profile
Perfect storm
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »

Hit the perfect storm the last 3 days with the boiler.  It was below 10 for the last few days with pretty strong winds was strike #1. #2 came when my wife had a few friends over for "crafts" and we turned the garage heat from 50 to 70 to keep them all warm. #3 was hitting a spot in my wood pile that was cottonwood and didn't burn worth a crap. It was free wood a friend cut this summer and brought over, so I couldn't refuse it, but also can't wait til this spot in the pile is burnt. So instead of having 14-18 hr burns, I hit the 8 hour mark and the temps started falling. Luckily I was here all day to feed the beast and now am back to my oak to burn.

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect storm
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »

That's some good news with all the cold weather coming the next feed days. That's is one thing I so is keep close eye on the wind cause when it is cold and windy we can go thur the wood.

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect storm
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Good timing to get rid of the cottonwood.  I always like burning box elder and rotten stuff on cold days when I am home.  Gets rid of it faster while still utilizing it.  Then I can use better wood with peace of mind that it will last for when I am not home all day.  I started digging thru maple and elm in the shed 2 weeks ago hoping to find some oak for these cold days.  Found a lot of it and still have quite a lot of box elder sitting outside yet.  -24°F this morning.  High of -16° today.  Days like today really make me feel good not having to pay for LP. ;D
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader