Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Swisher log splitter  (Read 4009 times)

notnim

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Swisher log splitter
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:13:32 AM »

I purchased a 34 ton Swisher log splitter this fall, and it performs great, however since the weather has turned colder I have a problem with, what I would call friction static at the oil return line on the oil tank. This unit does have a plastic tank, and it actually shoots an arc about 1 inch long inside the plastic return fitting which is molded into the tank. After running the splitter about an half hour and the oil is hot this arcing subsides. But until then it will occasionally give you a zap when touching the control lever on the valve. I tried a ground wire to a rod in the ground and this did not help. I called the manufacturer and they said they never heard of such a thing until I sent them a video clip of what was happening. They have referred me to a service center who is also scratching their head. I think the problem is the plastic tank, since oil makes a poor conductor, it is building a charge from the oil passing thru the rubber line into the plastic tank. It has 10 w oil in it. Anybody ever have this happen??

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Swisher log splitter
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »

wow thats crazy.I never would have thought to get static charge from hydraulic system.That is very interesting.Keep us posted on what you find out.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »

who about a ground wire from motor to splitter frame.  does it have a batt remove and clean ground cable ends to frame
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

notnim

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »

Well, I done a little experimenting today and took a 14 ga copper wire with two alligator clips, and removed the oil tank fill cap and dropped one end into the oil  reservoir and clipped the other end to the frame, I started it up and and could see arcing from the oil return line to the wire in the tank. I removed the clip from the frame and held it about an inch away and could make it arc across the gap. So I am pretty sure it is the friction from the oil moving through the line building up a charge. Since the tank is plastic it has nowhere to go until it builds up enough to arc. I drilled a small hole in the fill cap just large enough for the wire to pass thru and left one end of the wire suspended in the tank and permanently grounded the other end to the frame. Started it back up and it did not arc anymore. I still think a steel tank would eliminate this situation.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »

it sounds real scary to me i use to be on the local fire dept have you ever seen a combine fire becouse of hydrolic oil  think i would return it for a good one
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

Drifter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: None yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

2nd season on my 27 ton swisher and never had that happen. We have run it in hot,warm cold and frigid without getting lite up like a Christmas tree. ^-^ Worked around a lot of hydraulic systems and never saw that either got me scratching my head.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »

Can you post the video for us to see? That seems like a lot to be just static. Are you sure the ignition system on the engine isn't somehow leaking power in there?