Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: OWB Stack question  (Read 19495 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: OWB Stack question
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

I appreciate all the concerns, this is my first year with my fires OWB.

I have already pulled the pipe and cut the hole in the roof. I just need a couple 45's to get clearance away from a 2x6.

I'm still concerned about sealing the stack to the corrugated roof tin.

Brian

That's not hard to do, there is simple flashing that slides or wraps around the pipe with a flexible rubber seal

You mean this isn't good enough?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »

Lord help lol
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »

Companies get UL ratings for a reason. If a furnace is designed for indoor use then have at it. Personally the beauty of a outdoor furnace is the fact that I do not need dry wood, split wood, small wood ect. I wouldn't want my furnace in a building because it would be more inconvenient. Then again I don't have wood neatly stacked in a wood shed, at best I have a backup pile of pine for the days I don't have something on the truck when I come home.
 We as dealers do need to promote safe and efficient use of these furnaces.  That being said I'm with Scott, if a guy wants to put a furnace in a barn I will sell it if he comes and picks it up and I'm not involved in the install. I always tell them when it burns down come back and I will sell them one to put outside.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »

WillieG you are right on , they are now making a new insolation that is made from rock, rockwool to be precise, actually it's not only fire proof but has fantastic sound deadening properties. After reading all the post, if he wants it inside, fine by me. All I was trying to say is I am more worried about dry wood than cold and snow while I put a few logs in the stove . Anyway, good luck, I am sure everything will work out fine.
Newrichmond, Ohio

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 07:10:22 AM »

WOW......this post blew up overnight!!

I know I'm on a OWB site but I have an indoor boiler. I wouldn't have it any other way.
My setup is in a post and beam building with metal siding. It has dirt floors and was designed
to hold my previous stove along with wood. The stove clears the closest walls by 3' at a minimum and I've scene
this same install all my life. I know of no fires because the person installing the stove explained
all aspects of safety. Keep combustibles away from the front and back of stove.

The first thing taught is not using GAS to light an OWB!!!!

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:57 AM »

Exactly, read the post from the beginning
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

uncle

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »

I'll get a picture up of what I'm doing soon.

Now I just picked up that I really need insulated pipe???

the 6" steel pipi coming out of my Earth OWB is 18" from the bottom of the corrugated roof. I need to offest this about 6" toward the down slope to gain clearance from a 2x6 beam. I have a 2/12 pitch so I need 4' from the roof penetration to clear the ridge.

would you use insulated pipe for this 4 ft, or should I insulate all the way down to the enclosure of the OWB?

Brian

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »

There are two problems with using uninsulated pipe. First you will have more creosote buildup in the pipe due to the smoke cooling quickly. This will require more regular cleaning unless you want a chimney fire. Second you run the risk of having the pipe get hot enough to catch your roof on fire. If you do run a single wall pipe be sure and keep it away from anything combustible. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »

I wouldn't use single wall regarless on it...  You can't run ingle wall more than a couple foot on a stove without issue
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »

Check out this "high efficiency" wood furnace installed in the middle of this place...

watch it all, it's good lol

#485 daves farm , redneck high efficiency wood stove [Davidsfarm]
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »

Companies get UL ratings for a reason. If a furnace is designed for indoor use then have at it. Personally the beauty of a outdoor furnace is the fact that I do not need dry wood, split wood, small wood ect. I wouldn't want my furnace in a building because it would be more inconvenient. Then again I don't have wood neatly stacked in a wood shed, at best I have a backup pile of pine for the days I don't have something on the truck when I come home.
 We as dealers do need to promote safe and efficient use of these furnaces.  That being said I'm with Scott, if a guy wants to put a furnace in a barn I will sell it if he comes and picks it up and I'm not involved in the install. I always tell them when it burns down come back and I will sell them one to put outside.

Yoder are you sure you ain't a hardy dealer?  lol

The hardy folks here always have absolutely no wood around there stove except for the winter months.  Most of my customers have wood storage, I don't see why or how it seems so black and white but it is...  Kinda funny
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

Watch out he's got a patent and they wont be $5.00 to build forever.

"Right up there with the most efficent wood stoves on the market!!"

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

Up here in Northern Maine there are still many barns with wood floors, I own one of them. It was easier on the horses feet and to clean before the days of rubber stall mats and concrete. Some people still build them that way they are usually made from Tamarac or Hemlock. As far as a metal stack I always use insulated pipes inside and through the walls till outside. Had a single walled pipe rot, collapse and fill the house with smoke once and that was enough of a lesson learned. If you are going to skimp at least use insulated through the walls and roof and put up some tin shields inside to keep the heat away should it get real hot. Those stoves and buildings are not cheap to replace.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

I've tried to get the Hardy dealership for this area but wasn't successful. But heck, I'm out on the farm almost every day with all kinds of brush and trees that need to be cleaned up. Why not just burn as I go?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »

I've tried to get the Hardy dealership for this area but wasn't successful. But heck, I'm out on the farm almost every day with all kinds of brush and trees that need to be cleaned up. Why not just burn as I go?

I guess it's ok..  I just like the idea of maximizing everything..  If I burned a big piece of oak that wasn't dried out for maximum benefit I'd likely lose sleep lol

I hate waste
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6