Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Stihl MS 250 C Question  (Read 3266 times)

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Stihl MS 250 C Question
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »

So one of my customers just turned 75 the other day and he has decided to give up cutting wood. I know it's a shame , but be gave me his lightly used Stihl MS 250 C chainsaw. It's one of those easy start, pull it a few times to wind the spring models. I've prob pulled it about 1000 times in total and got it to start about 3 times. I tried about every possible way to pull the cord and it just doesn't seem to wind over enough to start. When it did start it ran great and for a little saw it has some zip. I have had it apart a few times and I can't find any mechanical issues. My question is : Does anyone out there know if I can change the recoil start over to a regular pull start cover? Maybe the cover off a regular MS 250 model will bolt on? or one from another saw? I don't really want to spend the money to fix what's on there now , but it is a nice little saw. You guys always seem to have the answers to life's little questions. Thanks  Alan
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

ralphxj

• OWF Brand: Eco-Max
  • OWF Model: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Stihl MS 250 C Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

If you ask Stihl, it can't be done. But it can! Do a search for "converted an MS250c to an ms250" and you should find a post on arboristsite.com with info. You will need a new starter assembly and flywheel. Looks like it's fairly easy to do.

Make sure the carb os adjusted right, I have a ms250 and after the first year it seems to get harder and harder to start, turns out the carb was way out of tune! I reset it back to stock and then dialed in so it started and ran like new, now it starts on about the 3rd pull every time.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Re: Stihl MS 250 C Question
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »

Thanks must have missed that post last time I checked. Checked it out and already got the parts on ebay. I'll let everybody know how I make out when I'm done changing it over. Stihl dealer said can't be done but apparently it already has.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.