Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New To The Game!  (Read 6684 times)

SperleFarms

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
New To The Game!
« on: February 10, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing and having installed a Central Boiler E-Classic 2400.  We live on a farm in south central Wisconsin that’s been in our family since 1847, and have easy access to quality hardwood.  We’ve heated with wood in the past, both with wood stoves and indoor forced air wood furnaces.  We’ve grown tired of the mess and fire risk associated with those methods.  We’ll be tying the E-Classic into two existing forced air furnaces and 50 gallon hot water heater, both fueled by natural gas.  I was hoping to get some free advice through the forum, both on the installation process and day to day operation of the unit.  Our local township only allows EPA Phase II certified units, thus leading us to the E-Classic.  Any advice pertaining to this particular unit would be greatly appreciated.  Our install date is slated for sometime in late April.

Thanks!
Central Boiler E-Classic 2400 - 2012
Stihl MS 390 - 2005 / Stihl MS 660 - 2011
Timberwolf TW-5 - 2009
Polaris Ranger 4x4 - 2005

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
Re: New To The Game!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »

I can only give you info on our CL5036. We have had it for 3 yr's and love it. We run it all year long and shut off the water to our exchanger for heat and only circulate thru our plate exchanger for hot water
it put's out a lot of hot water and a lot of heat.  Wish you the best :thumbup:
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »

This is my first winter with it ( e1400) and it has worked well, I would say running it is more of a art then a science the install was not two bad I did it alone digging the trench and laying the pipe was the worst part for me
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »

Welcome to the site SperleFarms
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

I don't know much about Central Boiler but if you need help with anything in general with OWBs let me know. I am north of Madison.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:21:41 AM »

Welcome to the site!  Nice to have you aboard! 

I have the E-classic 1400.  The operation isn't that different between the 2 units.  Like you, I had heated the my house (built somewhere around 1840's) with indoor woodstoves and fuel oil.  Last winter I experienced a chimney fire that scared the buggers out of me.  I vowed from that day/night on that isn't to going to happen again.  With the E-classic 1400 25 feet away from the house (local code requirement) there is no chance for fire getting to the house from the OWB.  Having to go outdoors to stoke up the OWB is a small price to pay for being safe from fire.   Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:11:21 AM »

Welcome    I've had a 2400 since Dec 2011.  DRY wood is the most important thing to remember.  You will want to a just your controller as time goes on according to the outside temps.  A learning process, don't get frustrated, just ask questions and there is someone always to answer.  I live in central N.H. with simular weather conditions.  Good Luck
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

dirtryder

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing and having installed a Central Boiler E-Classic 2400.  We live on a farm in south central Wisconsin that’s been in our family since 1847, and have easy access to quality hardwood.  We’ve heated with wood in the past, both with wood stoves and indoor forced air wood furnaces.  We’ve grown tired of the mess and fire risk associated with those methods.  We’ll be tying the E-Classic into two existing forced air furnaces and 50 gallon hot water heater, both fueled by natural gas.  I was hoping to get some free advice through the forum, both on the installation process and day to day operation of the unit.  Our local township only allows EPA Phase II certified units, thus leading us to the E-Classic.  Any advice pertaining to this particular unit would be greatly appreciated.  Our install date is slated for sometime in late April.

Thanks!

Well I can't help you with the 2400 but I do have a Central Boiler 6048 and love it. As far as the install, like others said, just ask and you will find tons of knowledge here. As most others, I did my entire install myself. If you do that, you will not only get satisfaction from the finished product, but most importantly, you will know your system like the "back of your hand". Comes in handy if you ever run into a problem.

OK, I don't know if it's the best way, but to get you started thinking..... I heat with 2 forced hot air (propane) heaters,(2 attached residences)  all hot water, and heat my hot tub on one loop from the boiler. The flow goes...........from boiler to hot water HX then to hot tub HX then to first hot air unit then to second hot air unit then back to boiler. One loop running 24/7.

The hot tub and hot water HX's have manual bypasses on them and my HX's in my forced air units are controled with a 3-way zone valve which only opens when thermostats call for heat. I did this on the heaters so I could burn all year and use my AC and not have to manually bypass them. 

My run from boiler to house is 90ft. and the loop inside the house is about 130ft.  I heat my 24X32 pole barn with a seperate loop and pump 115ft away from boiler. In the summer, I heat my pool with a third loop and pump.

Welcome to the site!

You are gonna love your boiler :thumbup:

Outdoor Wood Furnace Info

• Administrator
  • Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »

Can anyone post video of these things running?  I hear they are smoke free...

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »

My E-Classic 1400 runs smoke free when it is high burn mode.  However, it is not in high mode every cycle.  Something to keep in mind.

Dean
Dean

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »

Sperlefarms,

Installing a high quality water line from the OWB to the house is very important.  Create a good drainage channel for the water line and add extra insulation.  It will pay off every year you use your furnace.

Dean
Dean

woodfuel

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: cl5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

Sperlefarms, what township are you in? I have friends interested now that they have seen my owb, but might have to go with a gasser, too in parts of WI that have neighbors close by.

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »

No boiler is smoke free, even my 97% efficient plastic exhausted gas boiler.

More a question of degree and what is visible.

A friend has a CB2300, I need to go that way today and will take my Camera.

SperleFarms

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

Sperlefarms, what township are you in? I have friends interested now that they have seen my owb, but might have to go with a gasser, too in parts of WI that have neighbors close by.

We’re located in the Township of Dunn (Dane County).  It’s the closest thing to Communism you’ll find between here and China.  We affectionately refer to it as “The People’s Republic of Dunn”.   :bash:
Timberwolf TW-5 - 2009

SperleFarms

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 01:12:41 PM »

Great video clips from the Central Boiler website:

http://www.youtube.com/centralboilerinc#p/u/0/rwL01iW36MA

http://www.youtube.com/centralboilerinc#p/u/0/Cea9CV4kdHY
Timberwolf TW-5 - 2009
Pages: [1] 2