Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Split logs or just regular round logs???  (Read 10360 times)

jack1243

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: 500 gallon Hick Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 50003212008
    • View Profile
Split logs or just regular round logs???
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »

Was just wondering if any one here had any thoughts on the difference between splitting logs or just cutting them to lenght for the firebox? Does one seem to burn better in certain stoves or what? Just a question. Thanks.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Split logs or just regular round logs???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »

Was just wondering if any one here had any thoughts on the difference between splitting logs or just cutting them to lenght for the firebox? Does one seem to burn better in certain stoves or what? Just a question. Thanks.
[/quote

non gasser, home made,leave em round and never split unless they don't fit in the door
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »

Well Jack that is really up to you..Its on you on what you want to handle...My boiler can hold a 42 inch log..I burn 24 inch wood..I use to do the bigger wood..Thinking bigger length is better... Well 24 inch has the same burn time...So on that note..I was wasting wood by burning the longer length wood..Overall theres really no right or wrong way with the logs....Its really basically on what you want to handle..I also think of the guy that if i went away for vacation..I don't want him to deal with huge wood to load it..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:44:12 PM »

Well Jack that is really up to you..Its on you on what you want to handle...My boiler can hold a 42 inch log..I burn 24 inch wood..I use to do the bigger wood..Thinking bigger length is better... Well 24 inch has the same burn time...So on that note..I was wasting wood by burning the longer length wood..Overall theres really no right or wrong way with the logs....Its really basically on what you want to handle..I also think of the guy that if i went away for vacation..I don't want him to deal with huge wood to load it..

jack my boiler is natraly asperated and it still likes the hole log at night time when it gets cold.... I normally put 2 big complete logs on bottom,then smaller complete logs on top of that and split peices orlittle branches on very top.....not that mine holds alot it has a 9 cubic foot fire box but still i get 9 1/2 -11 hours of burn time  in single digits and 8-9 hours burn time at -16f.... but i do split the really big ones anything over 14 inch so my wife can handle the wood when i am not home.....
kelly
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:46:31 PM by baldwin racing »
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

I was wondering that too I am thinking about splitting small so the wood can season faster so I would have less smoke but those big ones seem to burn a while
Michael West
Central Ohio

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »

The big rounds seem to burn a while, but split em up and look how much wood is actually in one of those rounds.  It always surpsies folks how many split pieces can come out of one big round. 

It's all wood, and it's all the same btu, moisture content of it is most important and splitting allows for better drying in most cases
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »

Gases like smaller pieces, I split so I can easier pick it up
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

jack1243

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: 500 gallon Hick Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 50003212008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »

Thanks for the input. I currently use 24" long logs and my box will take a 32" log. I split the trunk and larger parts of the tree but do not split off the limbs and such. I do kind of keep it light as my wife would have to go load the stove on the rare event I have a gout flair up and I don't want her lifting a tree trunk to load in the stove. Alos my door is only about 14"x18" so big round logs want fit anyway. I have been playing with the load and have used more whole logs on the bottom and split on the top of the load for over night. I've also found if I cut my blower off at night before I go to bed my water temp is stable and use the natureal draft on the front door of my stove. The stack temp stays about 400 degrees and I still have wood and 175/180 degree water in the morning. I use the blower during the day as I can add a few sticks of wood if needed. I found the blower does not have a low end cut off so it my water is at 185 when the blower cuts on and there is not enough fuel in the firebox it will just keep blowing air into the box which cools the firebox and then the water. Maybe I'm wrong but since I turned it off at night we have had hot water for showers and the house is a comfortable 73 degrees and it was 22 lastnight here.

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »

We split everything that is over 8 inches thick and we cut everything at 25 inches long. That is the lenght of the splitter. I like putting in big pieces so get longer burn times and less wood in at one time.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »

I think it's really a lot about opinion for regular stoves/boilers.  All of these responses are good and logical.  Large pieces will not burn as hot, but last longer,.... or do they really??  It's funny when you think about it.  A less hot fire will cause a longer recovery time.  Hotter fire will reduce the recovery time for a shorter burn cycle.  And of course split pieces do dry faster, so less wasted btu's drying the wood.  So the way I see it, 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other, regarding regular style burners.  I have a feeling that most of us running gassers would agree that anything over 6" to 8" should be split to burn properly.  Just my $0.02 worth.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

i tend to agree with downeast (other than i know nothing about gassers) i dont split becasue my non gasser will burn them, i have no idea if they are more or less efficient but not splitting them save me the time and headache of splitting them, there are less pieces  for me to handle and if i have to cut a little more or a little less, i don't know so it does not weigh heavy on my mind ;)  just toss and go
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 05:42:10 AM »

Me and my father in law bought a dump truck load of well seasoned split wood this year to help
to help make it through the season. It was actually split good enough for an inside stove.

My boiler would burn it up quickly and get to temp but leave nothing. He built a gasser and
has success burning it. I decided to go back to the larger seasoned 24" stuff and split that in half by hand.
I only use the smaller split wood to assist in starting my fires now I feel it's to wasteful for my setup.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »

i tend to agree with downeast (other than i know nothing about gassers) i dont split becasue my non gasser will burn them, i have no idea if they are more or less efficient but not splitting them save me the time and headache of splitting them, there are less pieces  for me to handle and if i have to cut a little more or a little less, i don't know so it does not weigh heavy on my mind ;)  just toss and go

WillieG - If you're getting a headache splitting wood, then you're doing it wrong.  :)
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »

WillieG - If you're getting a headache splitting wood, then you're doing it wrong.  :)
i'm so used to banging my head against the wall, i thought i might as well try splitting with it too! :bash:
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »

One of my friends has a 6048 CB and he claims he can get a measurable longer burn by keeping as much of his wood toward the door as he possibly can. His thinking is that the heat has to travel farther to the exhaust, and the extra time the heat is traveling allows for more heat transfer time. The fire box depth on the 6048 is 60". He cuts everything at 24" and splits everything over 7 or 8". If I remember right, he thinks that 10 cu.ft. of wood near the door of the stove will do what 12-13 cu.ft. of wood will do if thrown all the way in. I think he's on to something.

Anyone ever look inside one of those 6048's? They will hold 60 cu.ft. of wood! Mine holds about 11 cu. ft. It looks like you could drive a dump truck in his, as opposed to a Chevy Vega in mine!

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter
Pages: [1] 2