Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Outdoor wood boilers  (Read 3294 times)

Chevydmax6

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Outdoor wood boilers
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:16:27 AM »

Hello i am in the process  of buying a owb 
I am heating right around 4000sqft
I have been looking at the heatmaster g200
I have a central boiler  dealer that is about the same distance  as the heat master dealer
What is your guys thought between  the 2 companies 
This is a big investment  i dont want to find out after i buy that the other  brand is a better choice
Northern ohio

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: Outdoor wood boilers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 05:47:09 PM »

I have a g200 so I am biased but it is a great stove.

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »

I heat about 5000 sf with my CB6048 and have no problems for the past 11 seasons.  My brother has had his CB6048 for over 20 years.  We both love our Central boilers but CB is the only brand we've had experience with.  I've heard good things about both brands and think either one will be a good choice.

But the reality is that most people who buy and use an OWB don't replace it for another brand simply because they last so long.  It might be hard to find someone who has had both for a number of years.  And even if you do... One persons results may not be a good indicator of quality for either brand.

So basically I'm not much help other than giving my personal experience with Central boiler. 
Hudson, WI

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:05:49 AM »

I'm a dealer so I'll not comment on the stoves themselves.
Meeting the dealers might help make the decision. A dealer with a good reputation of service and honesty is important.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Chevydmax6

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

I agree  that the dealers make a difference
I called my CB dealer and he was not vary talkative  on the phone and is telling me that u can never have to be of a stove he was trying to sell me a edge 750
I have talked to my heatmaster  dealer and he likes to talk and has a ton of info to share
I am going to the heatmaster  dealer  on monday to look at the g200 in person 
I have wathed a look of videos  of both  brands i like the wifi option  on the CB   but that is a small thing
Northern ohio

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:30 PM »

I'd spend some time at each place and get a good feel for both the stove and the dealer.  One may appeal to you over the other. As stated before, A good knowledgeable dealer will be important. If your new to OWB's, there will lots of questions both before and after the install and a good supporting dealer can make all the difference.

As far as the stoves, I know Central Boiler has a pretty cool WiFi system that lets you monitor the stove via a smartphone if that's something that interests you, otherwise, to be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either stove.

Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 04:05:08 AM »

I have the CB Edge 550 Titanium HD.  This past winter was my first with it.  Upon firing her up for the first time in Oct, the controller was bad.  Called my dealer, he said he'd call the manufacturer, which he did because later than evening I received a phone call from them and they were sending a new one to me via UPS with a return label to send the old one back.  It didn't cost me a penny for shipping either way.  To replace it was plug and play; unplug the old one, remove 4 screws and install the new one, it was that simple.  The new controller took care of the over temp problem I was experiencing.  The other minor problem I had was the water level sensor that came with it failed, so they sent me a new one.  I'm the quintessential DIY'er so I like doing things myself.  I changed it out for the new one and walla, she works great again.  Saying this, I've heard great things about the Heatmaster line as well as the Crown Royal line, those who own them seem to really like them.  The highlights of the CB Edge 550 is the removable air channels inside the firebox for ease of cleaning.  Also, the vertical heat exchanger (Hx) is accessed by opening a rear door, it's that simple.  No need to reach inside the firebox to remove the panels to access the Hx.  I hope this little bit of info helps you decide how you want to proceed.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 07:52:43 PM »

I agree with Roger, put your eyes and hands on both units before you buy. I guess that is why I don't like buying stuff on line, I'm still old school. I just put my first season on my Edge 750 Titanium HD as well and have nothing but good things to say about it. Don't sell the Firestar controller with the built in XP wifi short, I would not be without it after having it and the burn chart history's are awesome. I don't think any other brand is using a thermocouple to monitor combutions and control adding the just correct amount of air using stepper motors to maximize correct combustion. Access to rear exchangers through the rear hinge door couldn't be easier and I am a big fan of urethane foam encompasing the entire water jacket. That is my 2 cents. You are right that it is a big investment so do take a look at both. I believe the 200 would be the same size at the Edge550HD like Rogers.  Good luck.