Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: WHERE TO OIL BLOWER MOTOR  (Read 14441 times)

BIGDIESEL20S

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-2
    • View Profile
WHERE TO OIL BLOWER MOTOR
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:38:15 AM »

So I bought my H-2 July 2011 had it up and running October 1st 2011 and I ran it non stop ever since I liked the $30.00 savings not using water heater. But my blower quit October 26th 2012 it only lasted a year >:(. The book said to oil blower at the first of the heating season and I had not oiled it yet  :bash: so I just replaced it and went on with life. I wrote the blower going out as kinda my fault since alot of days in the summer I would return home to find fire out and blower running  :bash: until I figured out the proper loading of wood to prevent fire going out. So my question is since the book is not clear at all on this where do I oil the blower motor at? And if I run it year round do I need to oil it twice, three, or four times a year? Thanks in advance for the info.
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
STIHL: 009, 011, MS250, 026, MS260, 028 SUPER,  028FARMBOSS, 029 SUPER, 031, 031 SUPER, 066.
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
HOME MADE PICKUP BED TRAILER
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL

d conover

• OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE TO OIL BLOWER MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »

I didn't know you were supposed to oil a Hardy blower, my first one lasted twelve years without oiling.  But if you find out where to oil it I certainly will start.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:33:35 PM »

If your H2 is like my H4 and uses the same blower units, the oil ports are to the top and then slightly turned towards the furnace wall and can be kinda difficult to get to while the unit is attached to the furnace. I usually take my blower unit off and then you can find the ports and oil them much easier.
West Central Ohio

jcc273

• OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »

I just recently replaced my blower motor on my H2.  I had a Dayton 4c443 originally which i completely disassembled to attempt repair first.  it was so gunked up with creosote i just said forget it and bought a new one for $65.  The replacement i used was the Dayton 1TDP3.

I did not notice oil ports anywhere when i disassembled the old one, or anywhere on the new one.  The manual for the new one also does not mention any need to oil nor did the grainger catalog page.  From what i have read if it has oil ports it should be oiled, if not then it isn't.  there is sometimes a plug near the bottom too where oil can be dripped in and i have read of people drilling holes to oil when their blower seemed to be giving out to gain a couple more years out of it.

The dayton spec sheets here:
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/dayton_blower.htm

are the only ones that even talk about lubrication of some of these dayton blowers and all of them seem to boast "Permanently Lubricated Ball-Bearings."

So if you have a similar blower and you discover if and where these are to be oiled i would be interested to know!

sawyer, what make and model is your blower?  I did not notice any oil ports on mine where you have stated, so must be different, or i must just be blind : )
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

i will have to look that info up. The dealer I deal thru takes a magic marker and puts arrows on the motor to where the oil ports are.
West Central Ohio

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:31:02 AM »

A dealer I talked to said to oil once a year. I'll have to look at my blower so I can remember where he told me to put the oil.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

BIGDIESEL20S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »

Found it! It was very hard to find with blower on the stove since my water lines are right in the way but I found it on my old blower motor and then I knew where to look on the new blower on the stove. The oil ports are very small on the side of the motor itself not the fan, one at the top and one at the bottom but they are very small holes no marks of any kind, but there is now. When I found them I oiled my old blower, turned it on and got it running (that was the reason it was replaced it wouldnt start on it own but with help would run). I let it run about 15 min then oiled again, let run another 30min, oiled again and let run about an hour turned it off and its been setting about a month now. I was working in the shop a few days ago and pluged it in and it took right off so I guess I have a backup!   

I run my stove year round so I am gonna oil mine twice a year a few drops twice a year just makes me feel better.

I will try to get pics of oil ports to share, but bare with me as I try this since Im not much of a computer man.
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
STIHL: 009, 011, MS250, 026, MS260, 028 SUPER,  028FARMBOSS, 029 SUPER, 031, 031 SUPER, 066.
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL

revaarbaugh1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »

we are replacing the fan and motor to our Hardy h4.. Both wires are black, how do we know which goes where???

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »

I believe that if you hook it up backwards that it may just spin backwards? If so and you hook it up backwards the fan will blow very little air out of the outlet.

BIGDIESEL20S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:18:58 AM »

One wire goes to one leg of the plug cord the other to one of two legs coming out of the aqua stat.  That's right if it is hooked up backwards it will run backwards.
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL