Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Smoke from door on ML 30  (Read 2637 times)

MNRVGuy

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML 30
    • View Profile
Smoke from door on ML 30
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »

I have an ML 30 and have been working long hours so I have been packing her full the last few days, now that winter has showed up here in Minnesota. I have noticed that when I am done loading and I close the door and she is in a burn cycle I get smoke/steam from around the door. The wood I am burning is far from dry, and it seems to burn fine. Is this anything that I should worry about? Would it be affecting the performance? 
Portage & Main ML 30
Husqvarna 455 Rancher & 61 Rancher
Huskee 22 ton spliter
Polaris Sportsman 500
EZGO TXT Golf Cart
Cub Cadet 1050LT
Princeton, MN

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke from door on ML 30
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

if you see steam or smoke you likley have a leaking gasket if it is not much it may do no harm. the harm it could do if it is leaking enough is to let your stove draw air in after the burn cycle is complete and your stove may (if the leak is bad enough) continue to burn and overheat.

your wet wood (if too wet) will decrease the amount of heat you can capture from it and cause a lot of that black water to run around and maybe drip out somewhere. it willalso increase the buildup of creosete (no real damage i don't think just messy)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke from door on ML 30
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »

MNRVGuy,
   You really should tighten up your door so that it doesn't leak at all. If you run it that way all winter, it will start to erode away the metal on the ledge where the door gasket makes contact. I found that out the hard way. If you carefully put your hand near the spot while it's leaking, you'll not be able to hold your hand there for long while it's cycling. That hot smokey-steam will better serve you in the firebox where it'll get the opportunity to transfer heat to your water.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter