Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: chain saw bars  (Read 4462 times)

trz

• View Profile
chain saw bars
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »

I have a Husky saw and the original bar (18) was rather narrow and had a narrow tip.  Had the shop put a new bar on for me and they replaced the original with an Oregon that  was wider and had a more rounded tip.   Is there a specific function for each type.   I think I liked the original better, I seem to get a lot of kickback with the more rounded nose.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
Re: chain saw bars
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »

if you havent used it much they should take it back to trade for another , difrent bares will feal difrent your not cutting with the tip very dangers please be carful
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

nstueve

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »

kick back is a function of the chain and the operator... stay away from using the top/front 1/4 of the chainsaw bar/chain.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/images/g01959art05.jpg

If you replaced the chain; they probably replaced it with something more aggressive too. anti-kickback chain will prevent some kickbacks but not all.

The width of the tip has nothing to do with kickback unless you are using the area of the bar you shouldn't.
Too many chainsaws to list...
5hp NT splitter
OWB soon???

farmboythegreat

• OWF Brand: freisen
  • OWF Model: 33hd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »

if it's a big problem take it back to shop and have them install a tip kick back guard
Muir Ontario Canada

nstueve

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »

if it's a big problem take it back to shop and have them install a tip kick back guard

no offense but if you need a tip guard... that's kinda like training wheels. I'd put one of those on for my 12-14 y/o nephews... If you are a grown adult you should read the manual and learn to use the saw or not use it at all. 
5hp NT splitter
OWB soon???

farmboythegreat

• OWF Brand: freisen
  • OWF Model: 33hd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »

no offense but if you need a tip guard... that's kinda like training wheels. I'd put one of those on for my 12-14 y/o nephews... If you are a grown adult you should read the manual and learn to use the saw or not use it at all.
:thumbup: I got my big boy saw  10 years ago  ;)
Muir Ontario Canada

nstueve

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »

:thumbup: I got my big boy saw  10 years ago  ;)

Hey don't get me wrong at all... If your a novice that's fine we all have to start somewhere. I've been running a saw for close to 15years now. Cuttting and using a saw correctly is second nature to me now but I still get pinched and have kick backs every now and then.

OP,
Let us know if any of the info we've provided has been helpful. Specs on the both bars and chains and even a pic of both chains would be good to determine the problem. I certainly want to help you sort it all out!

Cheers
Nate
5hp NT splitter
OWB soon???

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »

I don't want to sound like I know a whole heck of a lot either but when the post starts out: "I had a shop put a new bar on", I have to figure that person is just starting out.

nstueve

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »

I don't want to sound like I know a whole heck of a lot either but when the post starts out: "I had a shop put a new bar on", I have to figure that person is just starting out.

nah... I have plenty of cutters and tree service guys that want their saw fixed, with bar and chain on and sharpened so they can go strait to wood after they leave.
5hp NT splitter
OWB soon???

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »

nah... I have plenty of cutters and tree service guys that want their saw fixed, with bar and chain on and sharpened so they can go strait to wood after they leave.
Yeah maybe your right, I can see where some people would approach it like that, doesn't feel right to me but to each his own.