Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Painting the water jacket  (Read 3304 times)

Keffer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Painting the water jacket
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:40:04 AM »

I have a older Taylor wood furnace that had a water leak. I took all the insulation off, cleaned it up, welded the area that had leaked. Put high temp lab metal over the weld area. Should I paint the water jacketl to prevent rust? I know that the stove can sweat. Should I use a high temp paint?

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Painting the water jacket
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »

I would paint the water jacket for sure.  Much of the shell likely won't ever get much over 200 F but it could get hotter at the front and around the door so I would probably go with a higher temp paint.
Muskoka, Ont

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »

So Mr. Boiler maker.....   ;)  Would you be suggesting that those of us that have newer OWF might want to consider doing the same?  I have the Rust Blocker in the tank, but now you have brought up a good point.  I was going to tear the sides off mine this Spring anyway to put more/better insulation around it.

Just wondering.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »

I painted the outside of the water jacket on my stove with primer....Seemed like a good idea at the time....

Keffer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »

I was going to paint it yesterday but then thought, maybe they don't paint it for a reason.
Do any of the OWB manufactures paint the bare steel. I would think you would have condensation.

BoilerHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »

So Mr. Boiler maker.....   ;)  Would you be suggesting that those of us that have newer OWF might want to consider doing the same?  I have the Rust Blocker in the tank, but now you have brought up a good point.  I was going to tear the sides off mine this Spring anyway to put more/better insulation around it.

Just wondering.

Lugnut

Well Mr Lug sir.........I had, perhaps incorrectly, assumed that the manufactured units were factory painted.  Perhaps the manufactures think it is unnecessay or an expense they would rather not have.  I personally can't see any downside.  I painted mine, I think it took about a quart or two and less than an hour.  If you have it stripped down, I think it is a very small investment in time and money. 
Muskoka, Ont

Keffer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

I will paint it. Just was wondering if there was some downfall.

BoilerHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »

I was going to paint it yesterday but then thought, maybe they don't paint it for a reason.
Do any of the OWB manufactures paint the bare steel. I would think you would have condensation.

If condensation is going to occur, paint will protect the steel, but I don't think painting the metal will either cauae or prevent condensation. 
Muskoka, Ont

Keffer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »

I never thought that painting the water jacket would stop the condensation. I wanted to protect the steel from the condensation. I didn't know if the heat would have some adverse affect on the painted steel or maybe a flammable chemical off gassing.
I just thought it strange that the manufactures wouldn't paint it for no reason.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »

I would paint it for sure. Leaving steel bare is never a good idea.
If you are worried about the temperature, get engine block paint. It can handle that temperature easy.