Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Extra parts; handy  (Read 2511 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Extra parts; handy
« on: January 10, 2021, 10:42:54 AM »

I can't stress enough the importance of having extra parts on hand for your model of OWB.  Last evening around 6:00pm I put wood in my CB Edge 550 HD Titanium for the next 12 hours.  Around 6:45pm I decided for giggles check to see how she was doing via the firestar using wifi.  The water was having trouble getting up to temperature and the temperatures in the reaction chamber was having trouble rising as well.  SO, outside I go to investigate hoping it's a simple fix.  I opened the firebox door and had rather nice fire going but the water temp wasn't rising.  So I took the poker and made sure that nothing was restricting the air flow between the charge tube and reaction chamber.  It was at that point that I realized the combustion fan was making some really weird noises.  After opening the door to the area where the fan is located I noticed it wasn't rotating that well.  Off to the basement in the house where I store my extra OWB parts.  I removed the old fan and replaced it with the new one.  What a difference that made.  The reaction chamber temps immediately started rising as well as the water in the OWB.  After watching it for a few minutes I went back inside and relaxed.  It's been running fine ever since.  The operators manual states to oil the fan every spring during the spring cleaning.  Well, I forgot that part.  I'm guessing oil is important to some motors.  :)   Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Extra parts; handy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 02:49:47 AM »

Can I hire you as a spokesperson?  :D
I can't count how many times I've gotten that call on a Saturday night. 2 hours away, no spare parts, can you please come quick. :)
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:30 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I had to get something from the basement of my house.  For giggles I looked at the blower I removed to get a better idea of where the oil ports are on it.  It appears that the blower CB put on it at the factory doesn't have oil ports on it.  There is no way that I can oil it.  When I get a few minutes of free time I'll make a run to my dealer with it and ask him to show me where it is.  Plus, I want to get another spare.  I don't like not having one on hand. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 07:14:24 PM »

I keep a spare fan, pump, and solenoid on hand for the very same reason. Murphys law says they seem to go out at night or on weekends when nothings open.

Unless CB changed motors, the oil ports are 2 small holes... Maybe 1\4 inch in diameter. One on each end of the motor itself. There easy to miss if your not looking close. At least thats where they are on mine, but my stove is going on 6 years old now. They might have changed the newer ones.

Anyway... Glad to hear you got it up and going. And as luck would have it, you had the spare parts at home on the shelf.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

bjp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 750 Titanium HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:39:42 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I had to get something from the basement of my house.  For giggles I looked at the blower I removed to get a better idea of where the oil ports are on it.  It appears that the blower CB put on it at the factory doesn't have oil ports on it.  There is no way that I can oil it.  When I get a few minutes of free time I'll make a run to my dealer with it and ask him to show me where it is.  Plus, I want to get another spare.  I don't like not having one on hand.

My 750 HD came with a fan with no oil ports, and when the fan died the first winter (on inspection, the copper winding had managed to break) the replacement did not have oil ports either.  Take a look at the support doc on fan maintenance at https://centralboiler.com/support/articles/combustion-air-fan-maintenance/ - "NOTE: If the decal on the fan housing indicates to oil the bearings at the end of each heating season, use the following procedure. If there is no decal, the fan does not require oil."

That document also shows where the oil ports are for the ones that do require oil.
7.5kW solar panels, grid tied
Weil-McLain WGO-4 oil boiler
DR Trimmer brush hog / mower deck / chipper / snowthrower

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:01:31 PM »

My 750 HD came with a fan with no oil ports, and when the fan died the first winter (on inspection, the copper winding had managed to break) the replacement did not have oil ports either.  Take a look at the support doc on fan maintenance at https://centralboiler.com/support/articles/combustion-air-fan-maintenance/ - "NOTE: If the decal on the fan housing indicates to oil the bearings at the end of each heating season, use the following procedure. If there is no decal, the fan does not require oil."

That document also shows where the oil ports are for the ones that do require oil.

Thanks for the tip.  When I get a few minutes I'll have another look at it.  I hope it's something as simple as that. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

smithbr

• OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »

Real question has to be, are those fans that can't be oiled a better quality, or are we just going to have to have one on hand, because oiling a fan and resurrecting it isn't an option any more?  I'd love to think that a new fan would last longer than the rest of the furnace...

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 02:56:14 AM »

When I looked at the old blower I noticed there is end play of the shaft of approximately 3/16 to 1/4 inch.  Do you know if the end play is typical for this type of blower?  I haven't removed the replacement I put on the OWB, it's in use.  I'll remove it at the end of the heating season so I'll check it then.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire