Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: mixing valves vs. zone valves  (Read 2147 times)

countryguy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
mixing valves vs. zone valves
« on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »

I have fired up my homemade boiler and everything is working great,wife said it is to hot in house now.I'm getting ready to hookup some subfloor heat. wondering whether i should run thermostats in every room with zone valves or feed rooms constantly with mixing valves?  total of 4 rooms probably about 200' to 220' runs in each.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: mixing valves vs. zone valves
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »

I have fired up my homemade boiler and everything is working great,wife said it is to hot in house now.I'm getting ready to hookup some subfloor heat. wondering whether i should run thermostats in every room with zone valves or feed rooms constantly with mixing valves?  total of 4 rooms probably about 200' to 220' runs in each.
i think you would need both. if you are talking in floor (under floor) heat. your floor heat needs to be in the area of  90 to 110 degrees (so i read on the net) if you constantly fed this to your floors you would overheat the room (s)  on more days than not. you need zone valves on thermostat (s) to control when you need to add heat to the room.
if you are running your delivery pump 24/7 then you also need a by pass to let the water back to your OWB when no heat is being called for (this could be your domestic water  exchanger ?)

if all your floor loops are equal in length one pump on a header  to feed them would most likley work but i would suggest  a small pump, mixing valve and zone valve and thermostat on each individul loop for absolute control

this is just my opinion, i am sure you will get others. i know my way is more exspensive but then you have complete control and can take one system out of the loop to work on it if needed without shutting down any thing else

for instance lets say you run all the loops together of one thermostat. if your thermostat is in a room opposite the windy side of your home it may not come on when the windy side of the house is cool.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: mixing valves vs. zone valves
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »

It usually works fine to just use a mixing valve. You will want valves on the manifolds and you just adjust them till you get the same amount of heat in every room.