Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

If available in the $100-$200 range would you be interested (5 definitely buy 1 wouldn't want)

- 4 (19%)
- 3 (14.3%)
- 8 (38.1%)
- 2 (9.5%)
- 4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Who would be interested?  (Read 11513 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Who would be interested?
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »

I am thinking about selling a product that would allow you to see your boiler temperature on a smart phone, computer, etc and send text messages (to any cell phone)/ emails if the boiler temp goes over a temp you set. Can send text if too high (you forgot to close the door and is going to boil over) or temp too low (forgot to put in wood or if you put sensor after pump will tell pump failed)
It will also give you a graph of the boiler temperature. (would show how many time and how long it cycles, etc)

I am trying to figure out if there is enough interest to spend the time getting the bugs worked out to start selling them.
It would come with one sensor with the option to add up to 15 more. Sensors can have up to 300' of wire added so you can place at boiler and in house.

Right now my test unit requires a computer running full time and an active internet connection to get temp on smart phone or computer at another location. Also it only reads celcius right now. The text/email option isn't working yet either. If you want to see what is available right now, you will need to use live messenger. Just PM me your Microsoft live ID so I can add.
If you don't use live or MSN messenger, you can do it from an online microsoft live account.

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: Who would be interested?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

I "might" be interested.  I don't care about off site access, but I'd like to know inside the house what my temp's at without having to bundle up and take the 100 foot walk in the cold.

Even if I could look out a window and read the temp, that would be great.
Hudson, WI

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »

I "might" be interested.  I don't care about off site access, but I'd like to know inside the house what my temp's at without having to bundle up and take the 100 foot walk in the cold.

I read mine with a pair of binoculars.

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:33 PM »

I have a ready check smoker remote hooked up downstairs where my lines come in (wireless receiver in house) within four degrees of actual temp I love it and would probably like your idea also. The cost of the smoker remote was around $40.00 dollars going to by my brother one for christmas this year coming.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »

Would you want it on the computer or just a stand alone display? I can get you something pretty cheap but you would need to run a wire.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »

Would you want it on the computer or just a stand alone display? I can get you something pretty cheap but you would need to run a wire.

What is the best way to do this? I have the wire ran and a Ranco ETC-111000 Electronic Temperature Controller (120 / 240V)
Thanks
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »

I, too already have a wire ran, just nothing to hook to it yet. I call it lazy on my part. What are you talking?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »

You would need to add a sensor at the boiler.
2 conductor wire is needed.
Would the PC viewing option or stand alone display be preferred?  PC option would connect to USB port. (the original idea here was LAN connection but it is a lot more expensive)
The best temperature reading would be from putting the sensor in a well but that would require the boiler to have an unused port and draining water to install.
The sensor could be strapped to a pipe but would likely read lower than actual. Copper pipe might not be too far off but steel or pex would be.

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:09:44 PM »

I just want a temp guage in my kitchen or outside my window.  I also have wire run.
Hudson, WI

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »

I will see what I can do.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:43:17 AM »

I thought I read that I could add a remote thermometer to the ranco but can't find where I read it LOL
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

I set up a smoker temp gauge on mine and that is nice not to have to run to the utility room every morning and check from my bed to see if i have to get up and feed the beast. I do some programming and I have been going to do some type of wireless setup programmed to my iphone so when I am out I can call the "wife" and remind her to fill the boiler:)

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »

;D Now if you could get it to load the wood from my laptop, I would give up a body part for that. ;D

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »

;D Now if you could get it to load the wood from my laptop, I would give up a body part for that. ;D

I'd be down for one of these too...

...don't they make an app for that?
Hudson, WI

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »

I am thinking about selling a product that would allow you to see your boiler temperature on a smart phone, computer, etc and send text messages (to any cell phone)/ emails if the boiler temp goes over a temp you set. Can send text if too high (you forgot to close the door and is going to boil over) or temp too low (forgot to put in wood or if you put sensor after pump will tell pump failed)
It will also give you a graph of the boiler temperature. (would show how many time and how long it cycles, etc)

I am trying to figure out if there is enough interest to spend the time getting the bugs worked out to start selling them.
It would come with one sensor with the option to add up to 15 more. Sensors can have up to 300' of wire added so you can place at boiler and in house.

Right now my test unit requires a computer running full time and an active internet connection to get temp on smart phone or computer at another location. Also it only reads celcius right now. The text/email option isn't working yet either. If you want to see what is available right now, you will need to use live messenger. Just PM me your Microsoft live ID so I can add.
If you don't use live or MSN messenger, you can do it from an online microsoft live account.
I have been wanting to this exact thing with my unit.I had contacted the company that makes the "LAB JACK" ,and conversed with them about doing this.I eventually never got any more replys from them.I guess i wasn't smart enough electronics wise to design something with thier products.
I would like to be able to check my temps and such on my smart phone while at work or away.
If you design something and decide to sell it resonably I might be interested.Then if your venture doesn't pan out,and you would be willing to help a guy out.I would like to try and design something to do what you propose. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: [1] 2 3