Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Soleniod Problems  (Read 5778 times)

Rutnik

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
Soleniod Problems
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »

2 years in a row....
I start burning for the year and like clock-work my E-Classic 2400 operates for about a week and then just starts blowing fuses.  Last year they replaced the firestar control unit. This year I tried doing some troubleshooting first.
1. I disconnected all the soleniods to see if it would power-up without blowing the fuse and it worked.
2. I then started connecting soleniods one at a time to see if one was bad and sure enough the bottom right popped the fuse.
3. I had a spare soleniod (bought one "just in case") and replace what I thought was a bad soleniod.
4. As soon as I powered it up..... blown fuse again.

Does anyone have any thoughts?  Is there another relay or something?  Tonight I am going to put the spare soleniod in another spot to see if maybe my spare is also bad, other than that I guess I have to call the dealer which is something I would rather not do.  Forgot to mention this is only my 3rd season with it and the last 2 haven't started out too well......

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Soleniod Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »

Where are you at, one of the most honest and reputable dealers for CB is about 1 hour from my home, he is a direct competitor of mine but I like him. His name is Rick Young  AKA farmer for hire.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Rutnik

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

Northern NJ

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »

I'm sure he would take a call, would you like his #
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:04:26 AM »

You may want to have your control panel checked, as you could be sending the wrong voltage to your solenoids.  Had the same problem and Central Boiler replaced my panel, a simple fix. 
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Rutnik

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

I switched the soleniods around last night and they all seemed to work.  When I put one of the good ones on the bottom right it started humming pretty loud.  I think it may be the firestar control panel like trailmaster said.  They replaced it last year when the problem happened, but 2 control panels in 2 years???? 

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E3200 (2011)
  • Overkill is under rated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »

I had to replace my controller twice and a few solenoids.  The control kept taking out the high secondary solenoid.  To get by I just unhooked the solenoid.  It would burn ok with out it.  Burns better with it.

E3200
All ported 355T, 346xp, 562xp, 395xp, 3120xp
Silvey pro sharp, 5 year wood supply
Hobby hording oak firewood.
Overkill is under rated!

Rutnik

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »

Just got off the phone with the dealer.  He said controller is BAD :bash:.  Last night I went down and had the power on the controller "off" BUT it was still pulling power to the high secondary soleniod (Sam-tip sounds like the same thing).  With the power off the soleniod was reading 95-110 and pulling the cap for the tube up and just humming and chattering.  I turned the power on and it stayed running but as soon as I opened the furnace door and it would call for the fan to kick on and the fuse would blow and I was done.  The dealer said the controller is bad and CB is now providing controllers with a "surge protector" built into them.  I asked why and he said they found out with "spikes" in power supply that is cooks the controllers.  Another great start to the season.  Thanks for everyones help and I am sure I will be visiting this site again!

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:15 AM »

a prime example to keep things simple....these are wood burners not nuclear reactors. aquastat and soleniod is all i have in mine.
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »

Amen Chilly!
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

sam-tip

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E3200 (2011)
  • Overkill is under rated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »

Just got off the phone with the dealer.  He said controller is BAD :bash:.  Last night I went down and had the power on the controller "off" BUT it was still pulling power to the high secondary soleniod (Sam-tip sounds like the same thing).  With the power off the soleniod was reading 95-110 and pulling the cap for the tube up and just humming and chattering.  I turned the power on and it stayed running but as soon as I opened the furnace door and it would call for the fan to kick on and the fuse would blow and I was done.  The dealer said the controller is bad and CB is now providing controllers with a "surge protector" built into them.  I asked why and he said they found out with "spikes" in power supply that is cooks the controllers.  Another great start to the season.  Thanks for everyones help and I am sure I will be visiting this site again!

Sounds just like what happened to me.   I was also getting 120 volt DC to the solenoid when off.  BAD!
E3200
All ported 355T, 346xp, 562xp, 395xp, 3120xp
Silvey pro sharp, 5 year wood supply
Hobby hording oak firewood.
Overkill is under rated!

gsilus

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »

A trick I did in a pinch to open the solenoid/metal disk, without power(disconnected the power to solenoid), was to take a pencil and put it between the 2" tube and the round metal disk.  This allowed air flow to continue, keeping the furnace running, until I got a new set of solenoids that had gone bad and kept blowing fuses.  Now I have like 10 fuses on hand, cuz when u start blowing fuses, u sure want to have some spares around.  Hope I explained this well enough….