Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Centrals Sizing Worksheet  (Read 5693 times)

sbatzold

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Centrals Sizing Worksheet
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:58 AM »

Anyone used CB sizing worksheet? was it accurate? Its on page 11 of the brochure

http://www.centralboiler.com/media/CBBrochure.pdf

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: Centrals Sizing Worksheet
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »

At a glance I would say its fairly close. One word of caution however, its fairly standard for furnace companies to try and push the smaller models because the prices compare favorably to the competitors larger furnace.  The best advice I can give you is to slightly oversize the stove. Also, on a properly built furnace water capacity isn't as important as fire box size and design. A natural draft furnace needs more water capacity than a grated forced air draft furnace.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

sbatzold

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »

Using there worksheet I came up with a factor of 45 using the current usage formula. Using the house size formula I came up with a factor of 65. Using CB as an example their small goes from a factor of 0-170, so does that mean even the small is twice what I need?

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »

If that is all you are using why go with a furnace?  I ran the figures and with propane you would be spending around $700 per year to heat your house. At this rate it would take ten years for the stove to pay off.  Maybe I've got my figures off somehow.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

sbatzold

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:01 AM »

Well, I hate writting a check every month to the propane company and I can get the wood for free. Also was thinking of using the OWB to heat the pool. But as a dealer if you don't recommend the OWB I'll take that into consideration.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »

Don't let me tell you what to do, I just was a little surprised to see someone with a bill that low looking at a furnace. Normally when I speak to someone about a furnace they are spending in a month what you would spend in a year. The one good thing about buying a furnace is that you lock in the price, and the propane company has no control over how much you spend. Good luck!
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

sbatzold

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »

Another thought also was if i get a OWB I could heat the garage also and any addition I may put on the house.  Thining about the 10 year pay off, what are you seeing for lifespan of your units you sell

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »

I have never sold a mild steel furnace, but just from being around them I would say if you take care of it it should last anywhere from 15-25 years. With stainless it can last longer but only if you stay on top of your game and make sure you do everything the manufacture tells you to. If stainless starts to pit through the stainless it can go as quickly as 5 years because the metal is thinner and it take less time to rust through once it starts.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master