Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New OWB... on a budget.  (Read 2797 times)

MarkR

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: building an OWB
    • View Profile
New OWB... on a budget.
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

Hey all, i am new to this site and what a surprise to find all this valuable info in one spot.  :thumb up:  i plan on using  some salvaged material i have stumbled upon over the last year or so. I'm in the hvac trade so I'm fortunate to be able to acquire these things for the bubble.
Well basically i plan on building a downdraft gasser, very similar to jackals design. I have a 500 gallon tank(4 ft x 6 ft) for the tank and i was thinking of using the middle part of a 275 cutdown with a secondary attached to it. I am sort of at a standstill because i am unsure the metal will be thick enough. i plan on putting two supports on each side to stabilize the side panels. i am also unsure that a 30 inch deep 30 inch high and 24 inch wide fire chamber is going to be big enough. its sort of a catch 22, make more room for wood but sacrifice your water content. looking forward to hearing any thoughts.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: New OWB... on a budget.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »

Lots of variables in there but don't concern yourself with water capacity to much.  Some of the most efficient gassifiers on the market are under 100 gallons
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: New OWB... on a budget.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »

Your firebox dimensions I think are way to small.I would definatly go bigger on it.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV