Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: placement of water return and exit in tank  (Read 10071 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: placement of water return and exit in tank
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »

I like the idea of a filter in the circuit.A lot of neat ideas and theorys are being tossed out here guys.I am gonna have to start writing this down and keep a better record of ideas to implement in my design. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Dirtysailor

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »

Old thread but thought I would add that household water filtration is normally on the cold water side then into your hot water system.  Not sure how the filter elements would hold up to the heat over time.  May shorten life at the least.  you could filter water going back into the boiler when it is colder.  Just a thought.

AceParkle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »

Old thread but thought I would add that household water filtration is normally on the cold water side then into your hot water system.  Not sure how the filter elements would hold up to the heat over time.  May shorten life at the least.  you could filter water going back into the boiler when it is colder.  Just a thought.

I definitely agree with you. Actually, I did this before and fortunately, as of now I have no problems of using my water filtration. The process of cycle is very clear and nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:50:42 PM by AceParkle »

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 12:01:59 PM »

I only read the first handful of posts and the last few of this thread.  I think the reason for the water being taken out of the bottom and the return going in the top is to keep the water moving around inside the furnace better.  Hot water wants to go up, cold water down, so if you put cold water on the top of the hot water, it will move from the top of the stove to the bottom, thus moving water inside the stove.  This is supposed to help prevent deposits from stuff in the water which leads to corrosion. 

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »

my homemade is built with 2 returns ,one coming in side, one in rear. like a swimming pool concept.both are low on tank. the heat from fire box creates a convection and pulls water up as it rises to top . i have a inspection hatch on top and have seen this happening. one benefit of circ pump on botom is no fear of cavitating pump if water is low .

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »

The main reason for putting your return in the top would be because that is where most of the heat is absorbed from the firebox. The best design is to have your supply about 3 inches above the bottom and the return coming in the top on the other end. This does two things, first it puts the coldest water at the point of the highest heat from the fire giving it a better heat transfer basically making the furnace more efficient.  Second it causes a mixing of the water in the tank keeping an even temp throughout your tank. This is more important if you are using stainless steel however it is a good idea with any stove.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master
Pages: 1 [2]