Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: clean project parts  (Read 4085 times)

mober

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
clean project parts
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:23:36 PM »

hi guys
new to this great site,gave me confident to start my boiler project ;D

i plan on barrel in a barrel boiler (half 250 gallon propane in half 500 gallon propane tank) as simple as it can be.

how do you guys go about cleaning your metal surface if anything like removing paint and surface rust from the metal?

i would think that the paint from the outside of the 250 gallon tank will chip in time and may couse problems in my system later... is a y strainer will be good enough for that or do i want to sand the tank down?
and one more, can electrolysis method for removing rust will work like shown here  http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-remove-rust

rosewood

• View Profile
Re: clean project parts
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

i can't comment on electrolysis method, i would just have it sand blasted,   if you don't  it will just burn off and maybe get in circulator or hx. are the tanks complete or cut in half already.

mober

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »

the tanks are already cut,i was thinking i can maybe fill the big one with the solution that way i dont have to fully submerge the tank in solution...

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »

Mober, i have never tried what you linked us too but it looks like it would...maybe work , if yo had a tank big enough and  the time and the soda?

i just wire wheeled mine and i installed a filter in the system. the filter i use looks like a roll of white twine and the water has to pass through that, it catches very small "junk"

i run all the water through it in the early fall and maybe all the way to december, then when the weather gets colder i open the by pass and let  some through just so i have a good flow through the system to make sure i am not starved for hot water when everything (all my appliances) is running

there is a photo of my manifold and filter in the picture section you can link to at the top of the page. i am in my 9nth year and still on original pump and rads are always hot so i don't think there is too much crud getting in the system
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »

make sure you take pictures as u go ....we like to see !

mober

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »

you guys set a good example with sharing pictures and info!

might take some time but ill be happy to share as i go along with it :thumbup:

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »

I had my tank sandblasted inside and out - was well worth the $50 to have it nice and clean to work with.