Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: help with wood boiler I made  (Read 3414 times)

cart312

• View Profile
help with wood boiler I made
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »

Fired it up for the fist time it only wants to burn if the door is open a half inch or so if you close the door it snuffs out the fire no matter how good it is going when you close the door, it is a natural draft no blowers, the fresh air vent is 2 or 3 inch wide and 4-6 long, so I was wondering if the door hole is big enough for a burn chamber that is 40 inches by 20 inches across it was an old 80 gal water heater, or could it be my chimeny is to low in the burn chamber. By the way it holds like 175- 225 gallons of water. Thanks for any input Carl
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:51:19 PM by cart312 »

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: help with wood boiler I made
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

how low is the stack off the floor and what size is it?Maybe you don't have enough draft for it.Maybe a few pics would helps us to see what you have built.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

cart312

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »

it is a 9 inch reduced down to 6 inch pipe not sure how low it hangs in the burn chamber mabe 10 to 12 inch  would have to mesure it when I get home
The total hight of the chimeny is at least 8ft high just thought that might help
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:51:34 PM by cart312 »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »

i would ask on this forum whom has a natural draft stove and then ask them how big their draft opening is and seeif yours is close to that. if you make your own you can take this as 'research and development" remake it and off you go

i would guess that the legth of your pipe is giving you trouble as the friction in the pipe is slowing the velocity at which your air is moving, or your air is entering the stove to close to the exit of your stove. you say that your stove fires right up when you open the door...perhaps closer to the door is where your inlet air supply needs to be?

there are many things we all could guess.. a bigger inlet pipe?  a shorter inlet pipepipe? closer to the coals inlet?

good luck with your project, please report your findings for all to benifit
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada