Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: On Line OWB Plans  (Read 4248 times)

Jbuck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
On Line OWB Plans
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »

Knowing my lack of design and enginering abilty I was considering ordering one of the how to plans offerd on E-bay.  Has anyone seen these plans?  If they simply say build a firebox and put a water jacket around it with a few hand drawn diagrams I wouldn't be very interested, however, if they are detailed and step by step (ie. cut 2, 4x4, pieces of 1/4" plate then, ect.ect.) they would probally be a good investment for me.  Just wondering if anyone has done a homemade build from these plans or even seen them.  Thanks

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: On Line OWB Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »

I would just call and ask if they come with a "cut list".That way you know that the prints would give you the info you need.Might also ask if each part has a detail print?
Plus you are at the right place for information.Just ask if you don't know.Only stupid question is the one not asked.Plenty of good people on here who can help you out. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »

if they are by deb they are step by step just alot of welding that is how i built by first one just a modified version

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »

Lawrencep, I have considered plans from deb, were you satisfied with the stove you built? I also have came up with a few modifications if I went that route but it seems they give you mostly all the information you need. Was the cost close to what they said it would be?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:41:58 AM »

i built my own 11 years ago, it is not a gasification model, i was lucky enough to get all my steel for very cheap and my elelctircal parts amounted to about 500 bucks  i think you should be able to get steel at (from a scrap yard) about double scrap price (lests say 40 cents a pound) you will be around 2000 pounds..so 400 oir 500 hundred for stell and the same for electrical...1000 bucks unless you are going gasification then just ask jackel he just finished his
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »

It did its job well for 7 years till it sprung a big leak. The downfall of it is all the welds where as a round one has very few. It took me two weeks to build a round one and it took me 3 months to build the one from deb the price wasent even close on the deb one it cost me prob $4000.00 and my round one i am at $2000.00.

Jbuck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »

It did its job well for 7 years till it sprung a big leak. The downfall of it is all the welds where as a round one has very few. It took me two weeks to build a round one and it took me 3 months to build the one from deb the price wasent even close on the deb one it cost me prob $4000.00 and my round one i am at $2000.00.

I stopped at a Shaver dealership while traveling over the weekend, there was no one around the dealership but I looked one of their OWB's over.  it appeared they used a round piece of pipe (I would guess somewhere around 32 inch) then built a square water jacket around it.  Is this how you built your round one or did you go for a pipe in bigger pipe set up?  It appears the pipe in pipe would  be the easiest but there may be some reason I am unaware of you can't do that.

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »

a 36 inside of a 48 round