Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: CB 5036 LEAK question  (Read 2260 times)

clydem

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
CB 5036 LEAK question
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »

Help...
I noticed yesterday that the ash seemed wet on the lower left side of the firebox, I checked the water level and found it down about a inch from normal. I scraped the area as best I could (boiler still loaded) and didn't see any obvious leak. I am keeping a close eye on it. I am going to let it burn down to coals and maybe I can get a better look at the suspect area.  My question is there a common place on the left side near the door where leaks are found often?  What is the best way to check / find the leaking area if it is not obvious?  I have about a 1 week weather window to hope to find & repair the problem.

thanks in advance
Clyde
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,

clydem

• View Profile
Re: CB 5036 LEAK question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »

Found it.....   Now to repair it.   Any suggestions?  patch size?  Patch thickness? Put a screw in the hole & weld it? 

tks
Clyde
JD 4600,  G27 IWB

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »

Found it.....   Now to repair it.   Any suggestions?  patch size?  Patch thickness? Put a screw in the hole & weld it? 

tks
Clyde

Unless it was a defect in the metal, most likely a screw won’t be enough as it will be pretty rotten around the hole as well. When repairing air tanks etc. I like to cut the rotten area out then place a patch over it, less area where you will have water and sediment trapped between the two layers rotting the patch out faster.

I have done a few compressor tanks though where I drilled it out then placed a large pancake rivet in the hole and welded around the head of it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »

Cut and patch for sure. How old is the stove?

GCTerpfan

• OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »

Central Boilers have "stay bolts" welded between the inside of the water jacket and the outside of the fire box for support.  It is somewhat common for older CB's to start leaking at these welds. They are located near the middle of the fire box walls,  it appears that is what has happened to yours.  I had the same thing happen to my 1996 model last year.  I actually had leaks develop on both side of the firebox at the same time last year and they were both at the stay bolt locations.  I am not sure that I would advise cutting out the area because most likely its not a case of an area being rotten but instead its a leaking weld. You cant see the welds because they are on the outside of the wall.  I fixed mine by welding a 4"x4" patch over each area.

I would recommend getting a welder that has experience welding on boilers. I had my brother in law weld mine, and although he has been a welder his entire life and is considered pretty good at it, he struggled getting his welds to be water tight. 

Garrett County, MD

clydem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »

Thanks to all who replied.   Leak is repaired   :photo: , boiler is refilled, wood loaded fired up and up to temp.
It wasn't as bad to repair as I thought, I'm glad I have the skill to do the repair myself.

It has been a long day, time for a hot shower then to relax & catch up on some Direct TV & early bedtime.

Thanks again  :)
Clyde
JD 4600,  G27 IWB